Any advantage to using U-Joint girdles vs straps?

-

AlaskaJeff

Reaction score
During my 3rd member & axle swap I have become aware of these U-Joint girdles. I'm sure they are stronger than the straps but other than the bling factor would I benefit from switching over to them on a mostly street driven car?
In the past on a 74 Power Wagon 1Ton Dana 60 equipped 4X4 with a divorced 205 T-Case and a NP435 4 speed, I switched over from straps to U-Joint yolks for off roading strength.
s-l1600.jpg

As you have already mentioned, most folks would say they are stronger and the additional strength is good insurance in any application.

I think girdles are easier to make sure the bolts are tightened evenly. Straps can be tightened slightly off center if you're not careful.

They might make it harder to grease the u-joint zerk, though most joints do not use those anymore.

Beyond that I think there is no real difference. They do look nice though.

if I had straps and had to up how the u-joint is retained I’d go with u-bolts, which I’ve actually done (7260) after looking at those girdle versions. I’d think you might run in to clearance issues with the driveshaft yokes in big driveline “ articulation situation” with the high profile corners of those girdles depending on the current pinion angle?

Last edited:
I've had those girdles on mine for 20+ years. I have nothing to offer, other than I have had no issues with them, still running the same ujoint. About to switch to 1350s and will probably run u bolts or girdles again.

Nope.

If the driveshaft gets into a rough angle, they can contact other things and tear **** up. Saw it a coiuple times. Straps work fine.

I've had those girdles on mine for 20+ years. I have nothing to offer, other than I have had no issues with them, still running the same ujoint. About to switch to 1350s and will probably run u bolts or girdles again.

Nope.

If the driveshaft gets into a rough angle, they can contact other things and tear **** up. Saw it a coiuple times. Straps work fine.

That right there is what I find SO HILARIOUS :poke: about these message boards. Two answers, and two COMPLETE 180 degree OPPOSITE opinions!

Run those things with a pinion snubber that gets abused and bent and get back with the results.

I sold a shitload of Moroso parts out of my shop in the 80's... wanna know one part that I only sold to the show poodles... U joint girdles.

Had people that didn't want to listen on race car stuff. Bought them and tore stuff up. After a couple times hearing the results, IMO as a seller, you have a duty to your customer to not sell them stuff that is FUBAR. My guys knew to not sell those things to anything but the wanna-be poodle cars.

Price is more important than performance on all factory cars and they use straps.

Performance is more important than price on all professionally built race cars and they use girdles.

If I was going to run girdles especially on a 4x4 they would be steel with a profile like these by Strange:

7A1EB6EE-6504-42C9-A537-8A9889A19923.jpeg

-
Back