Any aircraft mechanics on here?

-
I'll give a hint of my age, crew chief on F-100D. F-105D, F-4D, QA on F-16A/C. Retired from the ANG in 2000.

C-47,T-28,C-7a,B-52d,KC-135 and my favorite the A-1 Skyraider.

Attachments

• terryspad.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 143
worked on T-64 gas turbines that were on the CH 53 Super Stallion Helicopter in the Marine Corps in the 70s. loved it.

I was with HM-14 a MH-53E Sea Dragon squadron 99-03. I was a parachute rigger so I did not do much work on them. We did the life rafts and first aid kits, seats, soundproofing. The only real work we did on them was the engin fire bottles.

Have also helped my friend some on his L-2 taylorcraft.

The real Puff was a DC-3 used in Viet-Nam. If I remember correctly, in a 10 second burst, it put 3 rounds per sq ft. the area of a football field. Fun to watch at night. Huey Crew chief for two years.

I was with HM-14 a MH-53E Sea Dragon squadron 99-03. I was a parachute rigger so I did not do much work on them. We did the life rafts and first aid kits, seats, soundproofing. The only real work we did on them was the engin fire bottles.

Have also helped my friend some on his L-2 taylorcraft.

Damn Stitch *****! lol, hm-14 was in norfolk right? right before i got to sigonella they crash a few of those 53s, all in the same unit, they got shut down for bad maintenance. HC squadron i think.

The real Puff was a DC-3 used in Viet-Nam. If I remember correctly, in a 10 second burst, it put 3 rounds per sq ft. the area of a football field. Fun to watch at night. Huey Crew chief for two years.

crewed a Huey in 101st, 163rd av. Hanger 7. Had same bird whole tour, 15-691. When was you in? I was at the very end of the uh1h run. Last huey company on post, phasing in the black hawks.

Damn Stitch *****! lol, hm-14 was in norfolk right? right before i got to sigonella they crash a few of those 53s, all in the same unit, they got shut down for bad maintenance. HC squadron i think.

Yep Norfolk VA. With a detachment in Bahrain. Did 6 months over there. One was crashed on takeoff when I was over there and totaled out. Had lots of spare parts after that. LOL

HC4 was the only other Navy squadron to use MH-53's other than us and HM-15. Japan also has some MH's.

Stitch *****. ROFL!! Have not hered that one in a long time.

Licenced A/P Mechanic-Inspection section F-4s Homestead AFB Fla./F15C-D Crew Chief Langley AFB Va. /OV10A Crew Chief-Osan AFB South Korea U.S.A.F-1979-1989 / C47/DC3/737/727/747/B17/CONVAIR/C130/Fokker 28/DC9/10- Pemco aeroplex- Aircraft Inspection Station St.Petersburg/clearwater international airport/ L1011/KC10 - Smart aircraft services -1989-1994.

S-3B Viking (Hoover) and F-14D Super Tomcat radar tech, USN, 94-00. Served mostly on the USS Abraham Lincoln, CVN-72, with occasional detachments for additional training.

Husband was a jet engine mechanic on AC-130H and U models. He did some of the inspections on the U models when they switched over in the '90's on Hurlburt Field. He did several deployments to Italy in support of several operations. Those planes are ALWAYS deployed it seems, lol.

He then got his A&P from Rice Aviation and worked for Connie Kalitta for a few years (Kalitta Air, Willow Run, Ypsilanti) and for Northwest Airlines for 5 years. Now he is a mechanic at Chrysler.

C-47,T-28,C-7a,B-52d,KC-135 and my favorite the A-1 Skyraider.

My dad was an aircraft engine mechanic in the Navy for four years. He worked on Bearcats, Panthers, etc. on carriers. He never worked on the AD-1, but he told an interesting story while his squadron was ashore at Sanford NAS in FL. He was working on a plane on the ramp near a hangar early one Saturday morning. He heard a piston engine A/C running up for takeoff on the runway behind a thicket of tall trees. He then heard the engine begin screaming. An AD-1 appeared above the treeline, but only for a second or two. The wings were still in the folded position. That is a fine testament to the amount of power from that engine to be able to do that.

Anyway, the speculation was that the pilot had a night of drunken revelry. Neither plane nor pilot survived.

Late 80's worked on and overhauled Merlins (P51), Allisons (P40), Wright 1820 (B17, Helicopter). Had engines and parts flying all over the States and in England. Built 2 race Merlins for Reno- 1 P51 and 1 spare for Tsunami Racer. P51 went 409mph 1 lap, had 11 second lead, backed off boost and won the Bronze race. Tsunami went 550mph at 120" boost in practice at speed record attempt, still had 15"+ boost in reserve for attempt. Left gear folded on landing and wiped out the motor due to prop strike. Speed record at the time was 528mph...

Does an aerospace machinist count? I work at Honeywell machinig turbine engine gears. Boring monotonous job but it pays the bills.

-
Back