Any Antique Collectors? (Not Cars lol)

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Are there any members who collect antiques and antique furniture? Or maybe knows about high end collectable furniture?

Story is:

Last night as I took the dog out and was walking by one of the dumpsters in the complex, there was an older looking magazine rack/end table just stuck next to it. Someone tossed the thing out. It looks practically brand new with minimal scratches and still shines up with a dry rag.
Under it is stamped "Ethan Allen", which I know is a "high end" furniture manufacturer.

I've researched a little bit, and the road led me to ebay, as that's where I could only find some info about it. There were a handful for sale on there and not one under $200 and in worse shape than this one.
Apparently it is a discontinued "heirloom" Nutmeg maple magazine end table with flip top. (see pics) but I haven't any clue as to what year they were made and what year they were discontinued.
It's made of real wood as well.

Anyone have a clue?? lol

Regardless, score for me. The saying goes "one man's trash is another man's gold." lol

Your table is from the early 1970s. We sold them new back then. It is called a dough box table and it is maple. I have bought and sold many used ones over the years. What people are asking for them on eBay isn't where the market is because if you look at completed auction they aren't selling for that kind of money. Besides finish the price is dictated by any missing plugs.

Sadly it doesn't don't bring the money they should since they are really dated to that generation and right now maple isn't very popular. Personally I love it and we have several sets of Ethan Allen furniture in our home.

The dough box table with the magazine rack on the end is slightly more popular.

Here is a nice one that sold for $125.00.
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethan-Allen-End-Table-/191088112241?pt=US_Tables&hash=item2c7dbd3271&nma=true&si=haQTJVlz%252Br%252Br5sih92%252BA69hqmdc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethan-Allen-End-Table-/191088112241?pt=US_Tables&hash=item2c7dbd3271&nma=true&si=haQTJVlz%252Br%252Br5sih92%252BA69hqmdc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/ame]

Here is one with some finish issues and missing plugs that sold for $29.99

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETHAN-ALLEN-Heirloom-Maple-Nutmeg-Magazine-Rack-Dough-Box-End-Table-10-8584-/271479427877?pt=US_Tables&hash=item3f356f5325&nma=true&si=haQTJVlz%252Br%252Br5sih92%252BA69hqmdc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]Ethan Allen Heirloom Maple Nutmeg Magazine Rack Dough Box End Table 10 8584 | eBay[/ame]

I pick them up the dough box tables at garage sales and auctions for around $25.00 and try to sell them for $75.00 to $100.00. They aren't real fast sellers and it is the senior citizen crowd that buys them.

Sweet!! Thanks a bunch!
This one looks nearly new and has all the plugs. Someone definitely took care of it... As to why they threw it out, who knows.

We've been looking for end tables but haven't wanted to fork out the $$$ for a quality one.
Guess we waited just the right time!! Lol not gonna sell it, just use it.

Oh, one more thing.
The ones on eBay have two ribs under the flip top that the strap screw onto. This one doesn't have those ribs but everything looks like it was made that way.
Did they make small variations of the same table?

Oh, one more thing.
The ones on eBay have two ribs under the flip top that the strap screw onto. This one doesn't have those ribs but everything looks like it was made that way.
Did they make small variations of the same table?

Those were added in the later design because some of the tops warped.

-
Back