any big advantage to using adjustable rocker arms

-

valiant360

Reaction score
Over the standard one's ? Somebody told me you can run a solid lifter cam if you have adjustable rockers. Are solid cams better?

You can't run a solid cam without adjustable rockers. They're also a benefit with an aftermarket hydraulic cam too. They allow you to adjust the preload however you want it, and in most cases when a valve job has been done the valve tops aren't all at the exact same height.

Yep solids have to have adjustable rockers. But yes to on even HYD cams. Once you do a valve job, mill the heads etc. it is nice to be able to fine tune the push rods into the lifters. If all the machine work is done correctly however there is usally at least .050-.080 of give anyway though.

But on a stocker unless you are having issues I would not spend a bunch of $$$ on a set. No real need too.

Main performance advantage comes from a weight reduction in the drivers wallet.

Sure you need adjustability with a mechanical cam, and it is nice to be able to fudge really bad geometry a little, but roller rockers are pretty low on the bang for the buck scale. Most rollers are heavier than the stock stamped rockers and even worse move their mass out over the valve tip, exactly where you don't want it. Theoretically you get better guide life, and if rockers were cheaper than guides, such would be a good argument.

Its your nickel.

Myself, I would buy titanium retainers so I could run a lighter valve spring, rather than adding weight to the valve train. Remember, the horsepower required to operate that valve train increases at the square of RPM.

Solid cams require a valve lash (space between the valve tip and rocker arm when both valves are closed) that has to be set and maintained at a certain distance. That`s why an adjustable rocker arm is necessary. Solid cams are higher maintenance than hydraulic because you have to set the valve lash, but because the lifter they use do not require oil to pressurize them,they can rev higher with the proper valve springs without as much deviation. Hydraulics have the advantage of set it and forget it. If you`re just driving the streets then a hydraulic cam and lifters is your best choice. You can keep your stock rockers that way too.

-
Back