any boat engine mechanics on board?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys
i was changing the plugs on the 1994 bayliner capri yesterday and when i fired it up (mercruiser 3.0 4 banger) i noticed water leaking from behind the manifold

i took her out on the lake and get some fresh water in her (she is cooled by sucking up water from the body she is on) and there is clearly a big trickle of fresh water coming out

does anyone have any experience with these engines?
i dont want to jump the the conclusion of a cracked block, but once i start removing parts it will be impossible to fire up the engine to trouble shoot it

hey guys
i was changing the plugs on the 1994 bayliner capri yesterday and when i fired it up (mercruiser 3.0 4 banger) i noticed water leaking from behind the manifold

i took her out on the lake and get some fresh water in her (she is cooled by sucking up water from the body she is on) and there is clearly a big trickle of fresh water coming out

does anyone have any experience with these engines?
i dont want to jump the the conclusion of a cracked block, but once i start removing parts it will be impossible to fire up the engine to trouble shoot it
Exhaust or intake manifold?

Exhaust or intake manifold?
Yes.
What I mean is, hard to tell them apart until I get I to it
Right now, it looks like the I take, but the two are so close together, it is hard to tell

Yes.
What I mean is, hard to tell them apart until I get I to it
Right now, it looks like the I take, but the two are so close together, it is hard to tell
Think I would start with the riser seal. They fail more then the intake manifold and fairly easy to get to. They can be bought one line at a good price.

Think I would start with the riser seal. They fail more then the intake manifold and fairly easy to get to. They can be bought one line at a good price.
Thanks, I'll Google that and see if I can figure it out

23 years of the very cold river/lake water shocking that hot iron, it takes its toll. Gotta run the hose with rabbit ears to the outdrive - take the dog house off and watch it with a flashlight ?

You might examine the plugs and check compression. Maybe a half hour of your time but good reference to have in the bank.
Some folks here are very knowledgeable............
Mercruiser Sterndrive Forum

Hopefully it's just a riser gasket, but it could be a split exhaust hose or the riser could be cracked. I believe there is a heat exchanger with water hoses going to and from back there if you have power steering.

-
Back