any body got a D50?

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
A freind of mine just called me and said he had a D50 i can get dirt cheap,or trade for some old crap ive got laying around.I havent seen it yet,but it is supposedly,red,with clean shiny paint,no rust or major dents,nice black interior,already set up for a small block,it had a 350 chevy in it once,it has a posi rear of some kind,with traction bars,clear title.Has any body on here got a D50 with a 318,or know any body who has one,seen one,what ever.Ive always wanted to do this swap in one of these little trucks,and ive got a 318/727 that is just right to drop in it and go.It has a 6 lug rear,so the factory wheels will fit all around for the sleeper look,and if i could keep it quiet some how,it would be an awsome sleeper!Any info?pics of one done?

they tend to swallow mopar small blocks better then SBC normally.
I remember reading that the stock transmission was a variant of a 904, with a small block pattern.

If so,i do also have a 904 i could stick in it,if need be.does anybody have one of these trucks rusting away somewere in your backyards,youre not gonna use?lol.I read a post some were a few years ago were a guy reused the stock crossmeber(tranny)drive shaft,and rear end,but the rear has already been changed in this truck,its still a 6 lug rear,but from the way he described it,it doesnt sound like the factory d50 rear.

I purchased a D50 new in 1980. It was the biggest piece of S%$#& I have ever owned. This vehicle really soured me on Mitsubishi built vehicles.

The front suspension bushings were metal to metal and even with grease every 3k miles I replaced them about every 30k miles. After two years the upholstery started splitting and tearing. Even with under coating every spot weld in the body and bed started rusting around 3 years of ownership and 1-2" size chunks of paint would flake off in the middle of a panel exposing a rusted area. This rust was not from the other side it started internal to the panel. The 2.6 liter 4cyl was all used up at 120k miles. The truck had a 904 tranny and that was the only thing that never gave me a problem.

The rust issues seemed to be a common trait with all the ones of this vintage.

I've had 2 of them. I wish I still had the 4x4. They were both standard tranny and great fuel mileage.

liltruck.jpg

d504x4.jpg

I had 2 an 84 and an 85. they were fun to drive and I was not easy on them. not the fastet thing to drive both where 2.0l w 5spd. my parents had a 87 4x4.
one of my friends had the mighty max that he put a chevy drivetrain in kept the exterior stock.

does anybody have one of these trucks rusting away somewere in your backyards,youre not gonna use?lol.

Yeha, I am looking for anyone who is junking these trucks too. My wife has an 86 4X4 that she just loves. It has been in her family since new, and she has fond memories of it. I am forced to try to keep this pile of sheite running. The only good thing I can say about this truck is it made one emergency trip to FL and got me back before it blew the head gasket. Mechanically, there is nothing good I can say about these trucks. They have NO power, coming back from FL with a little trailer, top speed was 62 mph, foot on floor. They get POOR fuel mileage, at best 16 mpg. The 4X4 system is weak, though I doubt the 2.6 could make enough power to break it. In my opinion, this is the absolute worst piece of sheite that Dodge ever allowed its name to be put on.

All of that said, I guess you could make a drag only truck, with proper reinforcing and all.

So, if anyone in the Charlotte NC, Lancaster SC areas has one, and wants to raise their property value by getting this piece of sheite out of their yard, I'll be happy to come haul it away.

TopHat

I have an '88 D50,with the 2.6 ,5 speed.Its a 4x4,bodys is an excellent shape ,no rust ,just a couple little dings.It has about 135,000 miles and the engine is defiently tired,,no power to speak of.My friend had a 89 or 90 model thats a 2x4,but is fuel injected ,plenty of pep,wish I had the fuel injection.
That would be pretty awesome to have a 318 in there.I have 2 running 318's with trannys,one with the 904 and the other 727. Id like to see someones swap on this,bet the Lil truck would haul ***.

I have seen one with a 318. It seems like he had to do some minor floor board banging around or something. The guy that built it used to be kind of a hack, so the install was not the cleanest I have seen.

That being said, it went in fairly easily according to him. And it certainly perfromed well for what it was.

I'd go for the swap. It looks like fun.

ROB

-
Back