Any Buick Technicians?

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
My mechanic thinks my wife's 04 Rendezvous needs a new Neutral Safety Switch. He says it's an 11 hour job because the switch is buried in the transmission which will have to be dropped. Presently the car will only start when shifted into neutral. Any way of circumventing the problem other than the neutral start?

well i hate to say it the newer they make the harder it seems to fix them. one take it some place else and get it checked again second option is great. best of luck and wish i could have been more help

I work at a GM dealer. It is definitely an 11 hour job. You could bypass if you get an electrical diagram and find the correct wires, but I'd recommend putting in a manual toggle/switch that you have to hold in to start the vehicle, so as not to completely bypass the safety feature.

2004 model. It was built to last 10 years, well almost LOL
I don't have a calculator handy but I'm thinking just one 2600 dollar repair will make a whole bunch of 300 dollar per mo. new car payments. There's you sign :)
Good luck

Just start it in neutral. Who cares. Your gonna start having bigger problems in the next few years. Let it roll till, then drop a brick on the gas pedal at the edge of a cliff when it's done.

I had an old ford van that did the same thing, i used a wire and jumped between the neutral and park wire, made the connection work in park. problem solved. but of course the wires were easier to get to than they are on today's vehicles.

pacuda said:
My mechanic thinks my wife's 04 Rendezvous needs a new Neutral Safety Switch. He says it's an 11 hour job because the switch is buried in the transmission which will have to be dropped. Presently the car will only start when shifted into neutral. Any way of circumventing the problem other than the neutral start?

Jim, call pep boys or any of those types of repair shops and tell them what you need. They will give you a price over the phone. I've found that it's a good way to verify not only the price, but the amount of labor involved.

My father-in-laws '04 had the head gaskets go out, and now the torque converter and O.D is messed up... all at 120,000. 3.4 v6. Start it in neutral or time for a trade -up.....

It's inside the trans and is called an "Internal Mode Switch" and looks like this.
They run about 50-60 bucks if you look around, but they are inside the trans so it would have to come at least part way out (Drop all the passenger side suspension and lower the trans.)
The side cover has to come off the trans to get to it, and the trans needs to be dropped to get the side cover off.
I think you may be getting a high estimate though, so get more than one.

Attachments

• D84410H.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 57
-
Back