Any Civil War era Belt Buckle experts????

-

MoparMagic1992

Reaction score
Bought this at a local mom and pop thrift store today for $5 they just had it donated with a bunch of other stuff

From...what ive come up with its a M1839 "puppy paw" Belt Buckle, and just by cruising around the internet... i think its the real deal, all the hooks look 'correct' and theres no lead overflow, it defiantly looks and feels old, and sturdy.

Just looking for others opinions, pictures are kinda blurry

-John

IMG_20130105_194239_zps0022336d.jpg

IMG_20130105_194247_zps07ba1e3d.jpg

IMG_20130105_194257_zps64ca88fc.jpg

Heres what a confirmed real one looks like:
http://veteransfootlocker.com/cgi-bin/display_item.asp?1183

Without seeing it in person, its a hard call. I will tell you this, reproductions are very plentiful. There are a lot of re-enactors out there, has been for awhile.
Take it to an antique store, if they tell you its fake, but offer to buy it anyway, keep it.
your best bet is to take it to a re-enactment. if its real, they'll let you know.

Without seeing it in person, its a hard call. I will tell you this, reproductions are very plentiful. There are a lot of re-enactors out there, has been for awhile.
Take it to an antique store, if they tell you its fake, but offer to buy it anyway, keep it.
your best bet is to take it to a re-enactment. if its real, they'll let you know.

Thanks!

Gonna take it to a Gun Show in Toledo next weekend, see what they say there, and see what i can get for it

-John

If it is real you have yourself a piece of American history.
Some folks don't know what they have and just toss things out.

The picture's blurry of the back ,but it looks like initials scratch in the lead.
If so what are they. Many of the soldiers would put initial or their names on some of their equipment.

It may have been handed down in someones family tossed in a box and forgot about.

I noticed your location is in Ohio. There were quite a few regiment from your state.

If those are initials on the back there is a web site that you might be able to find the name of the soldier from the regimental roster. That is if he was in an Ohio regiment. Of course there may be more then one with the same initials too.

It's a cool find though.

theres a lot etched in the back of it, most of it i cant read, there is "ohio" etched in semi neat cursive, defiantly done by hand.

Sadly no, only the "Ohio" a Big square, with a X in it, and a big W

looks like there might of been a possible name, but i nor anyone i show it to can make it out

-
Back