Any computer dudes out there?!?! Help!

-

myasylum

Reaction score
O.k... Now I have a car that don't run, and a computer that don't run! This sucks!!

First of all... I turn on the computer and NOTHING happens! No fans, nothing! So I replaced the Power supply... Still nothing! I replaced the motherboard... Still nothing!! WTF?? Am I forgetting something stupid? Can someone help me out here? I feel like I am just throwing money away.

The green light is on the motherboard... but that is it! I even tried a different switch from a different computer, still nothing (Unless that switch is bad too??)

A bad CPU wouldn't do this, would it? I should still get fans to work, a beep or something??

Thanks much!!

The green light is on, on the motherboard, do I know it is getting some power.

Do you have the connector that goes from the power switch plugged into the correct spot on the mobo? Also, make sure the power switch itself isn't shot. (very common) Hope this helps. The green light on the mobo is for the internal battery backup on the mobo. It tells you that the internal clock is functioning.

Well there is only a 24 pin and a 4 pin on the motherboard. So... that can only go in one way. I tried a different switch too. Still... Nothing.

Well there is only a 24 pin and a 4 pin on the motherboard. So... that can only go in one way. I tried a different switch too. Still... Nothing.

Hmmm...Let me think about this. How about trying another power cord? Lets rule out all the simple stuff first.

Is it plugged into a powered extension? Is that turned on? Just asking. LOL

Is the switch on the back of your power supply set to the correct "On" position? If so, you should hear the fan fire up in the power supply, and get some lights from the hard drive, DVD, etc.

here's what I do daily when checking out PC's
1 all connectors plugged in
2 power supply light (or use tester) you can have a good 5 volts but bad 12 volts
3 unplug power and reseat memory chips.
still won't work I go to basic's
unplug or remove cd, hard disk, video card,keyboard mouse and memory , oh yeah the usb cables and network cable
4 try to turn it on, you should have a memory beep. if not either bad motherboard or CPU
5 if it then posts or looks like it wants to run, unplug, add 1 stick of memory in a different slot and test
if that doesn't work then it could be memory went south. if it does post then try the same for
each component ie video, hd, cd until you find the bad part.
hope this helps

You can power up the power supply by shorting the green wire to the black wire next to it on the 20 pin connector. If it runs then the power supply is ok.
Make sure the motherboard isn't plugged in while testing power supply.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-inc-pinouts.htm

If it powers up, and it's a new m'board then ram or processor change is the next step. or follow what 66dvert posted.

If you replaced the mobo, did you ensure that none of the posts the old mobo uses to mount to the case are in a different location than the new one, and one is touching the back of the mobo? Commonly will ground out system.

Remove mobo, CPU and memory from case and place on non-conductive surface to test.. shorting the connector where the switch connects will power on board. Did you repaste the CPU?

Grant

O.k. Fixed! (I think?)

It was me being stupid! First of all, all newer motherboards are 24 pin, not 20. That I knew.
What I DIDN'T know... Is that motherboards newer then mine have a 8 pin power connector instead of 4!
Also... Me being stupid... Since I bought the new Power Supply... (Of course it has all the new wiring.) It had the 24 pin, 8 pin, and a 6 pin for newer graphics cards. I thought the 6 pin was the four pin, and without looking I was using the 6 pin! I didn't even think of that. I was still thinking old school (you know... 2006).
So I just took the 8 pin, and it was already split in half, and used 4 of the 8 pins, and so far it seems to be working. I'm playing with the Bios now, so I'm not up 100% but everything now seems to be functioning!
I can't even keep up with technology, and I thought I know quite a bit about this stuff.
Still once again, stupid me. Hopefully this will help out some others too.

Note to self...

Old school, 20 pin and 4 pin connectors.
New School 24 pin, 8 pin, AND 6 pin graphics card connector!

Thanks!

Good to hear you figured it out. Don't feel bad about not keeping up. It is impossible lol.

Grant

-
Back