Any Dot 5 users here?

-
I don't currently use it in my Dart, but will down the road, and I have in several cars. There is an enormous amount of BS and urban myth surrounding this stuff. The military uses it in all their wheeled vehicles so take that for what it's worth.

Pros: Non-hygroscopic, so it will not absorb water. Will not attack paint, which is nice if you have just resprayed your engine compartment.

Cons: Expensive. Not available everywhere. Non-hygroscopic (water will pool in the lowest part of your system so you should still flush brakes every year on a daily driver.)

I have it in my 65 barracuda and 76 warlock it is fine. Bleeding can be a problem but can be done. It can trap air bubbles if shaken then bleeding is really tough.

I have always recruited one of my kids to work the pedal. My experience with the "mity-vac" or other vacuum bleeders has been mixed at best. You foot can develop a whole heck of a lot more pressure and flow which will push a bubble through a line or around a corner. Also you will pull in a lot of bubbles around the threads of the bleed screws, so it will look like you are getting a lot of air out of the system.

I've never had much problem with air getting into brake fluid. Always use fresh stuff, pour slowly and don't "Shake well before using". Any air will come out of the fluid in a couple days so a re-bleed might be needed in a worst case scenario.

I think its one of those things thats up to the user,I dont use it because its a little more maintanence and expense and my driving style doesnt warrant the added boiling point.I used to work at a brake/suspension shop and we used a pressue type bleeder and that worked very well-you can actually fab up a system cheap.We only used the vaccum/siphon type bleeders to get the fluid to the bleeder screws and/or to get the old fluid out-theres no real pressure so they dont mover fluid/air out fast enough or with enough volume.As often as I need to bleed brakes at home (hardly ever) I just borrow someones leg for a while.

my dads sport fury sat parked for a couple of years and all the wheel cylinders started leaking.after replacing we completely flushed the system.filled with the dot 5.the car recently got resurected after being parked for 6 years without ever being touched.the brake system works great.no problems at all since it was filled with the dot 5.he would recommend to anyone to switch.especially with cars that have set as long as his did.only problem with the car after setting was the sending unit being stuck.but it loosened up after driving awhile with some clean fresh fuel.

I have it in my 67 Chevelle SS and it has been in there since 1998 when the car was restored.I have never had not one problem! It will damage paint if you leave it on there long enough but not near as bad as regular brake fluid.Regular brake fluid will damage paint much quicker than DOT 5. I will use it in all my classic cars.When the darts are ready they will get DOT 5 also. I am told you have to watch the brand that you use! Some brands are better than others!

Cons: Not available everywhere.

Just find any Motorcycle shop if you need it. I worked for HD for many years which is ware I was exposed to Dot 5. But It is Std on all motorcycles to my knowledge (at least all Harley's)

But you wont find it in a small town gas station on a Sunday afternoon. No biggie I suppose for a car which comes home every night, but not in my hunting/fishing truck.

-
Back