Any Electricians? Advice on wire.

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of swapping my electric stove out to a NG unit. With that said I want to reroute the 220V line over to the corner of the house, install a junction box and then run wire in conduit along with a gas line to my garage. This will be about a 50ft run.

What wire should I be looking at to run in the conduit?

I will be installing a small breaker box in the garage to run my air compressor, and some lighting along with small electric tools ie: drills, parts washer etc.

If you could be as specific as possible about the wire I would be most grateful. I may run it and then have an electrician do the hookup, not sure yet. I have worked with this stuff over the years but don't yet totally understand the wire requirements. (as in which type, gauge etc)

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am in the process of swapping my electric stove out to a NG unit. With that said I want to reroute the 220V line over to the corner of the house, install a junction box and then run wire in conduit along with a gas line to my garage. This will be about a 50ft run.

What wire should I be looking at to run in the conduit?

I will be installing a small breaker box in the garage to run my air compressor, and some lighting along with small electric tools ie: drills, parts washer etc.

If you could be as specific as possible about the wire I would be most grateful. I may run it and then have an electrician do the hookup, not sure yet. I have worked with this stuff over the years but don't yet totally understand the wire requirements. (as in which type, gauge etc)

Thanks in advance for any help.

it all depends on the amp draw of the stove. then it will depend on the breaker you have.

h12cblchrt-o_large.jpeg

Well, I'm eliminating the stove. It will be for a compressor mostly. I understand the amp draw. There are just so many choices on wire it all becomes spaghetti after looking at it for a while. This will be an underground run in conduit.

I would run 10-3 with ground under the house. Then get the same gauge only in an underground wire for the garage. I remember now you want to use conduit also. The same as under the house will work. I would rather have to much wire than not enough. When I did mine I threw in an extra wire just in case. You never know what your future needs will be. Also since you are using conduit go with larger conduit to make pulling the wire easier. Another option would be 4 different colored strands of individual #10 wire pulled threw the conduit.

Just a multi strand thhn or thwn insulation. Multi strand goes through conduit a lot easier.

I would run 10-3 with ground under the house. Then get the same gauge only in an underground wire for the garage. I remember now you want to use conduit also. The same as under the house will work. I would rather have to much wire than not enough. When I did mine I threw in an extra wire just in case. You never know what your future needs will be. Also since you are using conduit go with larger conduit to make pulling the wire easier. Another option would be 4 different colored strands of individual #10 wire pulled threw the conduit.

I have a basement, so no conduit there, old construction. I planned on using at a minimum 2" conduit with radius bends instead of 90* sharp bends for ease of pulling.

I agree on the too much wire instead of not enough.

I would run 10-3 with ground under the house.

This is where I get lost. No idea what 10-3 wire is.

It would be wise to go ahead and run #6 wire to the garage trust me you'll
be glad you did. Just replace the 2 pole breaker that fed the stove with a 60A
breaker and run #6 from the panel to garage. As for conduit 1 1/4" PVC will do the trick. I'm assuming you have a 200 amp panel?

It would be wise to go ahead and run #6 wire to the garage trust me you'll be glad you did. Just replace the 2 pole breaker that fed the stove with a 60A breaker and run #6 from the panel to garage. As for conduit 1 1/4" PVC will do the trick. I'm assuming you have a 200 amp panel?

#6 is what has been popping up in my research, a lot! Pretty sure I do have 200 amp service, I'll need to double check that.

I was planning on 2" conduit as I want to run a small gas line to supply a small heater as well. I haven't checked code yet, so I'm not sure if it needs to be separate or not.

cudascott is leading you in the right direction. You do want to use PVC so it can be sealed and keep the water out. Nothing fun about having water get in the conduit and run into the junction box in the basement. You will need to run the gas line and electric in separate runs.

cudascott is leading you in the right direction. You do want to use PVC so it can be sealed and keep the water out. Nothing fun about having water get in the conduit and run into the junction box in the basement. You will need to run the gas line and electric in separate runs.

That's a big help, thanks!!

Yup, fully intended to use PVC and seal/glue the joints.

If I'm not mistaken, You'll also need to run an extra ground wire that will be attached to a ground rod hammered into the ground, 6' long I think. At least that's the code out here. How big are your breakers? How long is your run from the breaker to the garage? That will also determine the size of the wire, the longer the the run the bigger the wire. I'm not an electrician but I do my own wiring. There's a reason why electricians make what they do, there's many variables, but you can do it. LOTS of reading, asking questions, get a code book or sometimes they're online. Maybe an electrician will jump in and give the straight scoop. good luck. You CAN"T run a gas line inside the conduit! But I think you can put it in the trench. Ask the gas company.

I am an electrician. I wouldn't hurt and would be wise to drive a ground rod
for the garage sub panel the codes are different from county to county and even
county to city. As already stated you will need to run the electrical in a dedicated conduit.

I am an electrician. I wouldn't hurt and would be wise to drive a ground rod for the garage sub panel the codes are different from county to county and even county to city. As already stated you will need to run the electrical in a dedicated conduit.

Is that #6 wire #6 NM-B or something like that?

Again this is where I get lost, all of the wire options. I don't have a clue what you described.
This is usually the standard garden variety wire they sell off the spool at Lowes or Home Depot. The letters THHN or TFFN or TFWN should be printed right on the wire. It's a hard plastic insulation on the wire but the type has to do with the heat dissipation. In all reality it doesn't much matter. It can be an MTW or a HXXW but you most likely won't find that at a hardware store. It dissipates heat better but it costs more and usually isn't worth the expense.

I believe you said you also wanted to run the gas line in the same conduit, that's not a good thing to do. Run it separate and check for clearance from the power conduit. #6 would be good and you'll need two hot legs and a ground and if the new range has any 110 volt circuits you'll also need a neutral leg. Look at the new range manual for that information.

I have 8-3 with a ground running from my main box to a 60a sub panel in the garage, which meets code here in Michigan! The black and red run the 2 legs of 110 and the white and ground run to seperate buss bars inside the sub panel in both the main and the sub panel. All the whites are connected to the white buss and all the copper grounds are connected to the copper buss. The main panel is grounded so the sub does not need to be. I run my compressor, all the lights and plugs, and my 30a breaker for the camper plug! Geof

"I am in the process of swapping my electric stove out to a NG unit. With that said I want to reroute the 220V line over to the corner of the house, install a junction box and then run wire in conduit along with a gas line to my garage. This will be about a 50ft run."

It looks like here you say there is a line from the main box that used to go to the stove that you will be relocating to a junction box, then out to the garage. That means you cannot use a wire gauge larger than that wire that went to the stove. So check the gauge of that wire and if it less than the #6 gauge you want to send to the garage, you can't use that original stove feed, you must run the #6 gauge back to the main box.

The sub panel will require 2 hot legs, a neutral and a ground.
The existing stove wire might not have the neutral and ground conductors.
Romex or NM-B cable cannot be run inside a conduit, use single THHN wires inside conduit.

I would check to what your local regulations are as far as trench separation. Locally they want 12" between the lines if the electric is 220/240 volt. A 12" vertical separation also holds true where the lines cross each other.

Do your self a favor you seem to not know alot about electricity or wiring so if I were you I would find someone local and have him at least look at what you have...If it is an old house the stove was a 50amp supply if you start just putting in larger breakers or fuses what is th feed wire rated for??????? I dont think you want to burn your house down with the possibility of loosing a loved one.. Be smart have it checked out by a professional and be able to sleep at night knowing it was done right...Bill

well 10-3 is 10 gage wire with two hots or load a netral and a ground. this wire is good for 30amps and you will have to start to derate as the distace increases in other words by the time you got it out to the garage that wire would only be good for 20 to 25 amp. you need to have some one figure out the load of your garage, the stove, compress and what ever else you are going to have out there added up then the wire can be set to the load needed

I would say think about putting a 100 amp panel in the garage, typical compressor will want 30 amps and you probably will want a welder etc. All the work of putting the conduit etc, you will be thankful in the future. You would need two hot (phase) wires, a neutral wire and a ground and I agree to install a ground rod also.

I didn't read all the posts, but looked like mostly good info. However, since you plan to involve an electrician anyway, they will 'own' the finished job. They will know your local codes and what permits/inspections are required. I know a lot of people do major electric work without going through that process, but if something goes wrong and your insurance figures it out you will be SOL. Decide what size compressor you will be running and let the electrician lay out the job. Then decide what you parts you can do.

I would run 4 separate wires in conduit. Red, black, white and green. If you reuse the range wire the circuit will be limited to that amp draw even if you use bigger wire. So if the range circuit is not big enough you will need to replace wire all the way to breaker plus breaker. The wire going out to garage can be increased in size to make up for voltage drop, which depends on distance, amp draw and type of wire used. I would run #6 all the way from panel and use 60 amp breaker.

As far as conduit 1 1/2" for power. I would run a separate 1" or 1 1/2" for any spare wires you might want in future, phone, cable, data, you never know what you might want in future.

-
Back