Any Electricians out there? Air comp. question

-

lowbudget

Mopar Man
Reaction score
I just got a Champion 5 hp compressor. It is magnetic start with unloaders. It has a BALDOR L1430T motor. The motor plate reads as follows:
HP 5
Volts 230
Amps 20.6
RPM 1725
Frame 184T HZ 60 PH 1
Ser. F 1.15 Code H Des L Class F (might be P)
Nema Nom. Eff.84% P.F. 94%
Rating 40C AMB-Cont
Usable at 208V 22.7A
My garage has a 30 amp 2 pole breaker with a 5' 10 or 8 gauge cord hooked to a 30 amp dryer socket. My buzz box has the matching plug on it.
The Magnetic starter has a start stop button on it.
My plan is to try and use another 30 amp breaker if possible. I am at work in Kuwait so I'm unsure if my panel has room for it. Run to a 30 amp disconnect with 10 gauge THHN/THWN wire. Then a 3' whip to compressor if circuit breaker panel has room. If it doesn't I will probably get a 30 amp 230 volt socket, plug and box and go plug in with it.
Will the 30 amp stuff/ 10 gauge wire handle it? If the plate amp listing is FLA, 20.6 X 1.15 = 23.69 amps or 22.7 X 1.15 = 25.31 it should right? The unknown is start up amps of the motor, which is not continuous and might not trip 30 amp breakers.
The compressor is going to sit right in front of breaker panel so by code I could call the breaker my disconnect switch couldn't I? I still think I will spend the money and get a dedicated fused switch.
So what I need here is an expert opinion on how to do this properly.
Thanks in advance Mike

Yes, #10 wire on a 30amp breaker will be corect and will be good to go :thumleft:
Your compressor should have a shut down switch on the regulator and I agree :glasses7: it will be up to code being that close to the panel
Your Motor has a start capacitor that will help on start up.
I was/am an old electrician retired and seen many amp run draw to be over rated.
My 5hp compressor back in the day was rated about 20 amp and when I tested the amp draw on running condition it pulled 14 amps, But!! I set the belt tightness myself on any new/old compressors......
I wired up a few, to tight will pull more amps and to loss will let the belts slip.
To tight will be bad/ over work your motor and compressor.

Have a safe trip home and thank you for your service :smile:

I work over here in the oil field not in the military so I don't deserve those thanks.

It's got a pressure switch that works the Mag starter. I'll do a belt adjustment when I get it home followed by a change to synthetic compressor oil. Both of these ought to lower the amperage and help keep it cooler.

I figured I would be ok with 30 amps but needed some reassurance.
Thanks.

I am in agreement here. #10 gauge wire is adequate. One additional point, the disconnect is a good idea even if your local code doesn't require it. Make sure you get the more expensive time delay fuses to handle the temporary surge in amperage on start-up. The one-time fuses are cheaper, but they may blow when the compressor starts up.

Dont need fuses in the disconnect if there is a breaker protecting the wire.
Agreed, no need for fuses, but I would still use a disconnect. It provides a handy shut off if you need to service the air compressor. My compressor is only 4 feet away from my breaker box an I have a non fused disconnect by the compressor.

What is the code, "within 50 ft and in view of?"

But I'm a huge believer in disconnects, having spent a few years servicing HVAC / R

It sames fumbling "in the box" if something should happen

Go to your lumber yard and pick up a 50 amp throw switch
For safety and like a fire extinguisher :glasses7:
Do it if it needs to be dun at this time:glasses7:
I would mount it on the compressor, site in mind is a good thing :thumleft:

The circuit breaker is "the disconnect" and is within sight.

A disconnect switch is just another termination or another item that can fail.

Keep It Simple.............

The circuit breaker is "the disconnect" and is within sight.

A disconnect switch is just another termination or another item that can fail.

Keep It Simple.............
X2, less is more :thumleft:

I believe in the KISS method also. I found Champions wiring guide online. They figure 30 amp breaker and 8 gauge 70 degree C copper wire.
What do you guys think of using a 30 amp plug like I have on my welder? This way I could unplug one and plug in the other. This would save me running another 230 volt 30 amp circuit.
Thanks Mike

That will work.

I use a plug for my welder and my compressor.....switch back and forth as needed. As long as your within site of the panel or put a disconnect switch before the plug your good to go.

Mop

My plan is to put it in front of panel, which is is right on the left hand side as you walk in my side door. I figure this way if it starts to get warm while running it hard I can open door and garage door and get a breeze going by it. I think I will put a wall socket in and go the plug route which gives me a disconnect besides the breaker.

-
Back