Any fixes for a door that sticks, i.e. trouble pulling it open?

-

supersoap33

Reaction score
I recently rehung the door because it was sort of not closing right and while I was at it, changed out the hinge pins. The door shuts, latches and locks just fine, but when I push in the button and pull, I have to pull really hard (or almost jerk) for it to open up. I can't see the problem. I've even doused all the latches and metal and whatnot with marvel mystery. I've also made sure the latch pin is adjusted pretty well.

I just can't figure it out. Maybe one of y'all has had the same problem before and can help me out!

From the outside of the car, press in the door release button on the handle.

Keep it pressed in and slowly close and open the door, feeling for rubbing.

My 67 with original hinges sit a bit low as it closes. If I do the same thing but lift up on the door at the same time it shuts and opens with no effort

What are we workin on here?

I had a similar issue on a Duster once. I had to add an extra washer to the door strike.
upload_2021-4-20_9-1-38.jpeg

usually it is the door hinges that sagged a little over time and need to be readjusted. (could shove some shims in between the hinge/bolt) If not, it could blow out the striker panel completely. That is the current issue with mine, but someone went too long without readjusting it so now i need to weld in another panel and striker.

You changed hinge pins but did you adjust the hinges? I leave the striker out and get the door adjusted so all the lines are good then install the striker last .

try this. If the door panels off it would be easier. Place a 5/16 ( i think) alle. Key in latch side of door. That will fit into a set screw that can loosen and tighten the hinge on the door latch. Spray your favorite juice in first ( pb blaster works, but not sure if can damage paint. Loosen that. Flick the thumb button a few times. Tighten. I read how to do that a few times and still couldn't figure it out. If the little hinge arms are dirty, they'll stick! So I was getting no adjustment. But when I put a new handle on, lubed hinge arms,I could see the thing slide over. At that point, with the button all the way out, and the arms making full contact, I got Full Travel on my latch, making the door open like I was a kid again. Hope this helps!
Ps mine was doing the same thing

try this. If the door panels off it would be easier. Place a 5/16 ( i think) alle. Key in latch side of door. That will fit into a set screw that can loosen and tighten the hinge on the door latch
I'm going to need some photos

On mine the latch wouldn't release until the thumb button was all the way in causing the button to jam in. I removed the button linkage rod and bent it so the rod was a bit longer so the latch releases sooner while depressing. I had to do both sides.

Now it's my door glass that won't crank easily do to that plastic track cracking in the vent window track.

usually it is the door hinges that sagged a little over time and need to be readjusted. (could shove some shims in between the hinge/bolt) If not, it could blow out the striker panel completely. That is the current issue with mine, but someone went too long without readjusting it so now i need to weld in another panel and striker.
I have an identical situation. Some anus welded the striker in place doing an extremely crappy job of it ,and now that the hinges have worn a bit, not much, it hits the striker at an odd angle.

After you get it all working and adjusted, try using powdered graphite to lube the handle button. It worked for dad back in the 50s. (That chit is old??)
Also open door and pick up on it to see how bad door hinges are worn.

try this. If the door panels off it would be easier. Place a 5/16 ( i think) alle. Key in latch side of door. That will fit into a set screw that can loosen and tighten the hinge on the door latch. Spray your favorite juice in first ( pb blaster works, but not sure if can damage paint. Loosen that. Flick the thumb button a few times. Tighten. I read how to do that a few times and still couldn't figure it out. If the little hinge arms are dirty, they'll stick! So I was getting no adjustment. But when I put a new handle on, lubed hinge arms,I could see the thing slide over. At that point, with the button all the way out, and the arms making full contact, I got Full Travel on my latch, making the door open like I was a kid again. Hope this helps!
Ps mine was doing the same thing
Thanks! I'll give this a shot!

-
Back