any good A body junkyards?

-

74swinger

Reaction score
where have all the cool junkyards gone? has everything been crushed and cleaned up already? i'm looking for salavge parts in the mid-atlantic area.

if i were more paranoid i would swear someone was hiding every 8 3/4 rear end in virginia....

I'm pretty much in the same boat here in South Carolina. Not too many 8.75's here either and very expensive if there are. MOpar JUnkards? I havent seem one yet!! LOTS of mustangs though- yuck

my firned..your best bet..is to find a ford 9"....or as long as ur not goin over 450hp...an explorer 8.8" conversion...bc those can be had a dime a dozen..and in trac-loc, 3.55-4.10 gears, and sometimes with discs

I dont want to take over the post here, but how much is involved with the 8.8 swap? I would imagine you would have to move the spring perches and how do they differ in width from the 8.75 and a body 8.25's?

hey swinger...have you been to leon's? he is in culpepper (sp) va. right off of rt. 29. he has the best collection of mopars around va. must be around 35 to 40 abodies alone in his yard. many, many good parts to be had.probably has around 100 mopars in his yard. it is an all day affiar as you will see.....

i put an instructional how-to in another part of the forum...

Not much here in SW Virginia either..........mostly the way to find something is to travel the back roads and look.......sorry no help here.
Greg........mtn_jake

look on moparts for parts, or go to the bigger mopar swap/shows,,, chryslers at carlisle,,etc,,,seems hit or miss one year you wont see what your looking for the next year,, tons of 8 3/4 rears,,maybe some one will soon start reproducing 8 3/4 housing like they do dana and ford 9 inch,, 8.8 ford rears can stil be found,sopme have rear discs like stated,,

i for got to mention theres a yard in texas with a ton of mopars,,nice guy to deal with,,great prices,,he wil e mail you a pic of what he has,,
he advertises in the mopar magazines,,but i found him thru a different car site owensalvage.com,,i believe it the correct e mail,,,

Hey 71dartguy,

I sent you pm. I live in Spartanburg. I can get you hooked up with A-body parts. I know 2 guys that have alot of darts, dusters. both are great guys and fairly easy to deal with. hell, I have a 8 3/4 489 casing just sitting in garage waiting for the right C-body. I also have a 1975 small block 727 sitting and heads off of a 1975 360. The junkyards are out there, just got to look. or find someone who knows people. The one guy was showing me he has a duster with a factory sunrroof that somone turned into a stock car.

Hidden Valley or Desert Valley Auto Parts in the Phx area usually has pretty good stuff,a little expensive,though. The advantage here is there's usually plenty of good stuff & what rust there is is usually just surface rust. What are you looking for?

If your close to Holly Hill,
One exit south of there is an absolute goldmine. However when I stopped and talked to the old gentleman show owns the property, say he has the entire lot, cars and all up for sale for 2M Dollars. I was looking for parts for my dart and he said he didnt want to seel any parts but would sell a complete car.
Just be prepared, if you go there and love old cars, You could spend days looking at everything he has. There is about 20 acres of 60's and 70's stuff in there. all makes an models. One of those places you could get lost in for days on end and leave drooling every time. Also witthin a few miles of It, I aint sure of the roads but ask anyone and they can tell you where, thses another old gentleman sho has about 10 acres of cars and yes the myth is true, I have pics of it. Cars from the 40's up with trees growing through them. If you want pics, Contact me and I will be more than happy to send then to you. WHen leaving Holly hill and going east, There are so many treasures in that area, I plan on going back when I have nothing to do but look around

ide like to see some of the pics with the cars from the 40,s...with trees growing thru them,, i have a 1940 dodge,,and a 48 dodge we are working on thanks

Also you can use a 65 - 67 b body 8 3/4. I had both an A body an a early b body housing. After fitting both I used the b 8 3/4 because it is about 3/4 of inch on each side longer which actually looked better and gave me a little more room between the tire and spring and also you get the big bolt pattern axle and larger rear brakes. I did have the spring perches move 1/2 inch to be a perfect fit which only cost 60 dollars.
These rear ends are much more available and cheaper and the one I bought was a 742 instead of the 741 chunk.

-
Back