Any Guitar Players out there?

-

BillyBBad

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy 1 of 3 guitars and Im lost on what one to buy.

1. Peavy (Eddie VanHalen) cost - $250.00
2. Alverez (Purple Color) cost - $230.00
3. Epiphone (Les Paul Copy w/ humbuck pick-up)) cost - $120.00

Now that you know the guitars im looking at heres the kicker, Im just now learning how to play. I always wanted to and now I have the chance to. So my question to you is this.......
If you were to help a new guy start out what would you recomend on getting to help learn on.

Billy I would go with either the Peavey or the Ep. Les Pual. I have a Gibson LP and they are a great sounding guitar ( abit heavey though)

The Epi's are almost as good and If you like it you can always add some gibson pick-ups to it to make it better.

Ive never played the peavey but Ive own saome peavey amps and they were great.

Either of those are great prices.

Well the Epi is what I was leaning to and man did it sound good, The Peavey seemed to have some noise to it when i had it pluged in.

Anyone who plays please put in your 2 cents here, When I buy this thing it will be the one I use for some time, Till I can get an Ibenez :D

I have an Ibanez. They're ok but I think they are over rated.

What Ibanez do you want ? The older ones are better then the new ones for sure. My personal favorite is Pual Read Smith. For a cheap good quality guitar I like Schector. Good tone woods and decant pick ups but I swapped in some EMGs.

The peavet probably had a loos wire or ground or maybe some dusty pots.

i would also go with the epi, good quality and sound for the money. i also agree with adam, prs's are the best. i own one signed by the him. i also have a les paul, parker fly, gibson explorer, steinberg, carvin, jackson, rickenbacker 12 string, and a few more,(no fenders :puker: )
great stress releif, play on :rock:

I use ESP and Epiphones. It is hard to make a recommendation from the little info provided. Epiphones are good guitars and you will get more that what you paid for out of it (I had one that lasted 13 yrs). The Peavey is probably the way to go because it will have more bells and whistles than the others (if it isn't a beaten up used one). Check the net for reviews of the model numbers. :salut: Good luck.

The Peavey is a used guitar with NO scratches or nicks, In beautifull red w/white pick guard. It's the same as the one Eddie VanHalen uses.

The Epi is a used Guitar with a few minow scratches and no nicks, Nice black color w/black pic guard.

The Alverez is used with no scratches or nicks, Purple color w/white pick guard.

I will have to restring any of the 3 I would buy. I like the sound of the Epi but I am in love with the looks of the Peavey.
The Alverez is a good looking guitar but the color is another story.
If I got model #'s would that help you guys in your opinion?

as for me it wouldn't help. when you choose a guitar it should feel right in your hand. the way the strings feel when you finger the fret board should inspire you too play. you have too be able to feel your thoughts flowing from your brain to your fret board. they way the wood resinates the tones. that baby should respond too your touch better than a............... :shock:
i'm getting a little carried away, but you get the idea. pickups can be changed. color shouldn't mater. its the feel. :rock: also make sure the frets are worn evenly down the lenght of the neck.

Knowing with models they are would help. The Peavey should have Eddie's pickups and a floyd rose (floating bridge) with a d-tuna (allows you to shange from standard tuning to dropped d). The EPI has a fixed bridge. There are several Alverez models, so I have no clue what to tell ya. onehellofadart is right on the fact that the axe has to feel right to you and it has to produce a tone that you like- you are the one that is going to play it.

I'm a drummer-but I play with a great guitarist who is a collector-he just picked up a EVH Music Man style guitar that is made by some company that MM =has given license to to build them-it sounds awesome-great tone-looks identical to the MM-doesn't have a Floyd,but a cheaper tremelo-two dual coils with switching-got it at Guitar center in Charlotte for 199! He absolutely loves it and he normally plays a 58 Historic Gold Top!! His other current faves are his 61 SG,and his 59 TV yellow Jr.,he also breaks out his DanElectro 12 string often.

I just thought of something else. The Peavey has a maple fretboard and the EPI has a rosewood. Maple has a brighter tone, but has a faster feel because of the finish. Rosewood a darker tone and has no finish which requires it to be oiled periodically.

You guys are making me lean towards the Peavey :?

The Peavey did feel a little better when I held it, Didnt seem so heavy as the Epi. Only problem is the damn noise that the Peavey has when I pluged it in. A constant humming noise, I asked my guitar buddy who is teahing me to play and he said same thing you all did. A loose wire or bad pick up maybe a bad ground too, All easy to fix he tells me.

I heard on the radio today that one of Eric Claptons guitars just sold at auction for $800,000

With a name like this you have to ask? Onehellofadart is right, don't go by looks, go by feel. Which ever one is easier and comfortable for you to play. You can always change the way they sound, to a point. BTW I'm known as a Tele Ho on a couple other boards. Fender Telecasters and Fender tube amps are my weakness. Good luck to you, stick with it, no one learns overnight how to play, it takes a awhile.

-
Back