Any Home Theater Nuts on FABO?

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
I'm a custom installer for Magnolia Audio Video here in Bellevue WA. I was curious if there were any other HT obsessed members like me? My current HT setup in the living room is:
  • Mitsubishi WD65736 DLP RPTV
  • Pioneer Elite VSX 82 TXH THX Select II AVR
  • Denon AVD200 Dolby Digital Processor for AC3RF LDs
  • DVDO Iscan VP50 Pro Scaler
  • Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD player
  • Pioneer DVR 225 DVD Burner
  • Pioneer DV 563 ADVD/DVD-A/SACD player
  • Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc/DVD player
  • DirecTV HR21 HD DVR
  • HTPC W/C2D E6300, Intel G33 MB, 2G DDR2, 80G HDD ( os ) 1TB HDD ( 500X2 DVD Storage ) DVD Burner, Radion HD2600 Pro HDMI Vid Card, XBox 360 HDAO
  • Boston Acoustics CR9 L/R Front
  • Boston Acoustics CR7 L/R Surround
  • Boston Acoustics CC1 Rear Center
  • Boston Acoustics VRC Center
  • 2X Yamaha YST-SW150 Powered Subwoofers
  • Dlink 5 port Network switch for HTPC, HD DVD player, HR21, and the Xbox 360 this Christmas :D
  • URC MX810 Universal remote control
When we do our additions to the house, including a MUCH larger garage, I get to build a real home theater above the garage. That will include most of the gear from the above list, except the TV, speakers, AVR, and sub woofers. Those will be replaced with a projection system including two 9' CRTs from Barco, a THX Ultra II Pre/Pro, and amps, speakers, and subs all THX Ultra II...

Lets hear about some of your setups!

j

82TXS.jpg

HTPC Case.jpg

736.jpg

Bedroom system is a Toshiba 46RV530U LCD Flat panel, Pioneer VSX 1014TX, X-Box 360, DTV HR21, Toshiba HD-A35, Toshiba RX20 Tivo/DVD-R, and a pair of Boston Acoustics CR6s.

j

I did some work yesterday on my HTPC. It's current configuration is:
  • Intel C2D E6300
  • Intel DG33TL
  • 2G DDR2 533 ( 4X 512G )
  • Asus EAH2600HD HDMI out Video Card
  • on board sound
  • Segate 80G HDD 9 OS
  • 2X 500G WD HDD ( RAID ) DVD Storage
  • Lite On DVD Burner
  • Extra CD Burner
  • Silverstone HTPC case
  • MS HDDVD add on drive
I use Corel WinDVD 9 for playback and Slysoft AnyDVD HD for ripping my DVDs and HDDVDs to the HDDs. I use a Logitech Blue Tooth KB and Mouse. I have also integrated control into my URC MX810 Universal remote control. It works rather well. I have been testing the Netflix instant play, and it looks pretty good. I'd post pix, but my camera took a dump on me. When I document my Duster build, I'll have to get a new camera. Till then, I'm using my phone camera to take pix.

Upgrades planned are:
  • 4 1.5 TB HDDs to replace my 1TB RAID aray
  • 4G DDR2 RAM
  • CPU Upgrade...maybe a quad Core ( I have an extra Q6700 )
  • HD Tuner card
  • Component Video input card

I also want to add a 6 TB NAS so I can get my media on my other computers in the house.

More later...

j

I have all McIntosh and John Curl desiged Halo and Parasound amps. I have a 9 channel system using all Dynaudio components driven with 4 amps running on 3 house breakers.

Long story short there is about $85k invested i nthe system which includes blueray, DVD, DAT tape, Reel-Reel 32 track, LP, SVHS digital gear, laser disc suppot and more.

good to here there are other junkies on the site too!

That sounds like one hell of a setup!

I just did an install that had a Marantz 7002 pre-out to a Mac 2 CH integrated amp into a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M mains, no center or sub, but Martin Logan Helos 100 surrounds, a JVC DLA-HD100 Projector with 110" Stewart Firehawk screen. He had a store bought HTPC with cable and a PS3 for source. It sounded phenomonal...Those Sonus Faber speakers just sang...:cheers:

What's funny is, I get to see almost all this stuff go up, and am still impressed by my rather sedated little system. But's it's still like Christmass every day I go to work :D

j

im a live sound engineer and pieced together a simple CHEAP home theater system . im also usually broke $ ..... so...

dont have model numbers but heres what kicks *** in my living room for movies :

Pioneer main unit

JBL sub

Yamaha center and rears

front/main speakers are Wharfedale towers .

Total budget system that kills. Loud and clear .

I have all McIntosh and John Curl desiged Halo and Parasound amps. I have a 9 channel system using all Dynaudio components driven with 4 amps running on 3 house breakers.

Long story short there is about $85k invested i nthe system which includes blueray, DVD, DAT tape, Reel-Reel 32 track, LP, SVHS digital gear, laser disc suppot and more.

Jeebus F. Christ. $85k............did you win the lottery or something?

Lol And i thought i was doing good with my 37 inch Samsung 1080p flat screen, my Sony Sound Bar with 8 inch sub and a Playstation 3 for the Blue ray player in my room. I guess its time to step up the game!!!

My first system came from a pawn shop. It sounded pretty damn good too! As money allowed, I upgraded a component at a time. I remember the first piece of new gear I bought was a Pioneer Laser Disc player. I later upgraded that to an open box DVD/LD combo that was stolen along with my DD ready AVR, DD processor, 50" RPTV...and other stuff :(

I eventually progressed to newer ( and some new ) better gear to where I am actually happy with my setup.

When we build our addition, I am putting in a full boogy home theater including Projectors, THX Ultra II+ separeates, 154" 2.35:1 screen...reclining love seats, 11, or 16 speaker surround sound with multiple subs. It's gonna ROCK!

j

I did an install using the entry level Krell Pre/Pro. Mated with Vienna Acoustics upper end speakers, and a REL subwoofer, they were amazing. I only got to hear them for a short time, but if you can acquire a set, you won't be disappointed.

Lately, I have been looking at the new Marantz AV 8003 Pre/Pro. I just finished my second install with one of these, and in spite of it missing some of the kooler features of it's much more expensive cousin, it is a tremendous piece of equipment. I have a feeling this is what is going into my HT when it gets built.

j

Have you been getting any complaints about Dolby Digital DVD's being too loud during actions scenes and too quiet during talking scenes?

I haven't heard that before. You what kind of equipment do you have? You might want to check your Dynamic Range Compression. I always keep mine wide open, and watch movies at a rather high volume ( 10db below reference level :D ) so I never have a problem with it.

j

Main living room got a new TV, and a rebuild on the HTPC. I picked up a 73" Mitsubishi Diamond Series 1080P DLP to replace my 65". I rebuilt my HTPC with a new MB and memory. I got the DP45SG ( I think ) Motherboard with the C2D E6300, and 2G PC10600 DDR3 1333 ( ? ) and replaced my RAID 2X500 G HDDs with a single 1TB HDD. I've been ripping my DVDs to the TB HDD, and now I need another one...or three :D In the Bedroom, I replaced my R-A-C 46" Toshiba 1080P LCD with a new Panasonic 46" 1080P Plasma. Best Buy had them on sale for only $999, so I couldn't pass it up :D

j

-
Back