any hotwire experts around here?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
long story short, my niegbour is a hoarder, and she has given my son a 1982 honda urban express moped
(pretty sure its a 2 stroke 50 CC)

my boy and his buddy had gone out there the other day to dig it out, and they actually got it out and home
now, i dont know if i will ever be able to get this puppy going again (not because the mechanics are tough, but because i halfway expect the wiring to be eaten by mice)

so, i dont want to throw too much money at this untill i KNOW it will run, and step one is...hot wiring it
when we got it, there was no ignition key with it

i got the ignition lock out and there are 6 wires there,

red
black
green
black/white
black/red
black/red

(thats right, there are two black/red wires)

the way the wires are in the connecter s
RED‐--‐----------------BLACK/RED-----------GREEN
BLACK/WHITE-------BLACK/RED-----------BLACK
i tried to disconnect it and simply jump the red and black wires in the wire loom to see if i can get a spark, but nope
so, any thoughts?

20230503_102842.jpg

20230503_102853.jpg

Found this and appears to match to match your wire colors. Scroll down to wiring.

'82 Honda Urban Express Shop Manual
awesome, thanks

so it looks like the black/red wire just does a lil loopieloop

on the bottom of the page, where it read "switch continuity" it looks like if i connect "bat1" (red) and "bat2" (black) it should run

i tried that the other day, but i didnt have the black/red hooked back up to itself, ill try that shortly

if that doesnt work, ill give @JDMopar s suggestion a try
all though, last time i went to "my" locksmith i ended up in a bridal boutique

i guess he had gone out of business and didnt bother telling me

ign1.jpg

Connecting the black/red to the black/red, and red to black did the trick, i got her to spark, fire and even run for a few moments on brake cleaner

I got a feeling a good carb cleaning will get her purring like a kitten again

I wonder if they make big bore kits for these things ?

If it's really a 50cc two stroke, it should preform like a 90cc four stroke.

My modern 125cc four stroke does 50 MPH and sometimes 55-60.

Does it have a fuel/oil mix ratio label?

My old 2002 honda VTX had similar ignition wiring. The ignition cylinder took about 5 minutes to take apart and give me access to the guts w/o a lock cylinder in it.
Of course this was after paying a locksmith to take 3 months to make me a key for the switch, which apparently required them to drill 4 holes into the switch (which they actually didn't need to do) and then reassmbled it wrong for me and I had to pull it apart and put it back together again. Worst $140 I ever spent. I wouldn't do it again without doing the disassembly myself, and if it was a cheapo scooter I'd probably just put a couple toggle switches there instead.

If it's really a 50cc two stroke, it should preform like a 90cc four stroke.

My modern 125cc four stroke does 50 MPH and sometimes 55-60.

Does it have a fuel/oil mix ratio label?

it is even more sophisticated then that, it is a 2 stroke with oil injection (not really injecting of course)
it has a separate tank for both oil and gas, and it even has a light in the dash that warns you when the oil level runs low

After I thought about it for a while, and now that you got it running, it might be cheaper to just go buy a switch w/key for a riding mower or something. If it has the switch plus a push to start button, you might have to buy that kind of switch. If it has a switch like a car with off, run, start all in one, just buy that kind. Glad you got it going!

:thumbsup:

After I thought about it for a while, and now that you got it running, it might be cheaper to just go buy a switch w/key for a riding mower or something. If it has the switch plus a push to start button, you might have to buy that kind of switch. If it has a switch like a car with off, run, start all in one, just buy that kind. Glad you got it going!

:thumbsup:
Thanks

It has some interesting features
The ignition switch is only "off" - "run"

Easy enough

It does have a kickstarter, but it also has an electric start
Luckily that is a separate "door bell" style button on the left handle bar

To finish it up, the is a "stop" - "run" - "stop" kill switch on the right handlebar

So it looks like the key is simply there as a theft deterrent

Even though it is a 6 wire switch, it sure looks like it can be replaced with a 4 wire version, by permanently jumping the two red/black wires
so i will probably end up going that route

I wonder if they make big bore kits for these things ?

obligatory:

That's pretty much all I need, thanks

i'd probably pull the trigger with this stuff first:
this ignition switch

there's a link for the battery and fuel tap there as well, which you'll most likely need. plan on tires and tubes, too.

thankfully the express shares a lot of parts with other bikes in honda's line up.

just be glad it wasn't a puch. all the parts are like double!

i'd probably pull the trigger with this stuff first:
this ignition switch

there's a link for the battery and fuel tap there as well, which you'll most likely need. plan on tires and tubes, too.

thankfully the express shares a lot of parts with other bikes in honda's line up.

just be glad it wasn't a puch. all the parts are like double!
Believe it or not, I'd feel a lot more confident wrenching on a puch

I remember growing up, if I had money if be on a dirtbike, or some other "manual" moped, but if I were flat broke I'd be on a puch

Guess what I've got the most experience with?

Oh, and it definitely needs new tires, but it looks like the tubes hold air

-
Back