Any Idea What this Said?

-

FJ5 Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what this bumper sticker said... its more than likely from the 1970's as my Duster has been off the road since early 80's. I'm assuming it some kind of insurance bumper sticker but wondering if it was a regional company or a national company? If it was regional it would then give me a little more insight on my cars history.

Attachments

• NCM_0401.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 328
I found my Duster several years ago in an old small town Kansas salvage yard where it had sat since the early 80's. The car was there so long that it sunk down in the ground up to the rocker panels and we had to cut trees down to pull it out! Thankfully somehow the frame never rotted out from setting all that time... only the floor pan and one rocker panel.

Even though my car was severely neglected all those years it was never taken apart or really altered until I got it. When I was pulling the car apart I found a piece of a March 17th / 18th 1973 news paper from Columbia S.C. down in the dash vent. It was advertising the local drive in movie theater showing the movies for that weekend. I also found a toy cap gun from the early 70's down between the quarter panel and trunk extension along with a comic book under the rear seat. Just last week I was moving some of the parts around for the car and noticed the bumper stickers. There was one on the front bumper that was basically all white and didn't look like anything. Long story short after taking a closer look... it turns out that it was a Spring Valley High school parking pass for 1976-1977. I looked up the High School and it is located in Columbia S.C.!

So I poked around and did a search for Plymouth dealers in that area... and came up with Marion Burnside Chrysler Plymouth in Columbia S.C.! It was located about 20mins from the high school! Then after more looking I found a guy that had an original paint 70 Cuda from that dealership. The Cuda still had the Marion Burnside decal on it and my Duster has the outline of that sticker on the rear bumper! Lol dumb luck just gave me a pretty solid look into my cars past.

It's a long shot... but I plan on contacted the high school to see if they would happen to have any old records off the parking pass that could put me in contact with the owner. Now I'm wonder what brought the car Kansas just a few years later and then parked in the salvage yard.

Attachments

• i26003.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 304
  • i26004.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 302
  • march%20132.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 302
Until you find out it belonged to an unwed mother fleeing an abusive step father.... :(

Are you near an Army base? Ft. Riley maybe? Ft. Jackson is in Columbia, SC....and maybe a soldier had the car in SC, and got transferred to Ft. Riley. Just a thought. My high school car was a 70 FJ5 Duster with a black vinyl top. The one I'm restomoding now will be the same colors with a 5.7 Hemi/ 545RFE automatic. :D

Thanks guys! I wondered about it being in a military family for sure. Ft. Riley is about 2 1/2 hours away from Yates Center Kansas where I found the car. I also found a pen down in the dash from a 1970's shopping mall located in Washington State. I looked the mall up a year or two ago. The mall is long gone now but I cant remember where it was... Ill have to go back and look it up again. The pen of course could simply have been pickup on vacation and the car never actually out there.

I looked up Marion Burnside Chrysler Plymouth on Google earth... This is the dealership shortly before it was torn down. It was a Chrysler dealership in the 60's and 70's then switched to GM in the eighties. Not sure if it was under different ownership when they switched. You can clearly see the 1960's styling to the building.

I also found that Marion Burnside was a local sponsor of Richard Petty and he made several appearances there!http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/richard-petty-interview?context=latest

Here is a link to an article about a new Super Bird sold to Petty Enterprises from Marion Burnside Chrysler Plymouth. http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2011/01/01/hmn_feature2.html

"Owner Al Pokrzywa, now retired and living in Texas City, Texas, found this particular car in pieces in the late Nineties (see Owner's View). "As near as I can piece together from conversations with previous owners and the paperwork I got, an employee at Petty Enterprises bought this car new," Al told us.
This B5 Blue Fire Metallic/automatic/white bucket seat interior model was delivered to Marion Burnside Chrysler-Plymouth in Columbia, South Carolina, some 150 miles away from Petty's Level Cross, North Carolina, headquarters. Not long after, title changed from the original owner to Petty Enterprises. Whether it was used for parts, or whether it was something that King Richard himself used to get around town for a spell, who can say."

Attachments

• p1150781_tn.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 139
  • p1150785_tn.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 141
  • p1150786_tn.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 133
  • p1150773_tn.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 137
-
Back