Any idea why this shift shaft seal would be leaking?

-
My experience this time was since the seal was almost out anyway it was easy to get out with just a pic. Didn't need to use the special tool. Which came from the manufacturer needing to be clearanced to fit over the shaft anyway. Went ahead and did that just in case. Like I said seal came out easy. Had to get the new one started with the socket, wasn't quite enough room to get my giant ballsey C-clamp (8 inch) between the transmission and floor tunnel. Finished seating the seal with the installation tool. All In all not easy but not too bad. Just takes a little time.

I love working on transmissions. My favorite is taking them apart. It's still exciting to anticipate what I'm going to find. It's either interesting because it's something new, or because it's something unusually common...
You know bud, I didn't in the past. Transmissions were just an evil necessity. They're starting to grow on me, lol.

Got a pic of the tool you clearanced?
Yep, it's the one one on the left with the bolt in the top. I'll get some better pics of it tomorrow and what I did to it. Wouldn't fit over the shift shaft. Hit it with a 15/16 ball hone. Fits now.
upload_2022-5-14_21-7-11.png

-
Back