Any interest in a two stroke dirtbike build?..

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I bought this a month ago and gave it a Very short two gear test drive and brought it home... It had been driven hard and put away wet for several years. And thankfully, the price reflected that... Since I sold mine 4 years ago for the same price I bought this one for and of course, mine was in near mint condition, the prices have skyrocketed.
At least where I live...
20230803_125739.jpg

20230803_125746.jpg

LOL.. @JDMopar one like out of 100 views all day...
I was just going to leave it alone...
I've always had lots of interest in my other motorsports restorations...
I'll through up this picture for you of where I'm at currently. And if it prompts more interest, I'll give some back story and more pic's, but if not, I'll cut you another picture down the road when it gets close to done... thank you for your interest...
20230909_120229.jpg

LOL.....I like about anything that has wheels on it and goes fast! I love dirt bikes. I've got an old (74) Suzuki TS185 that I really should down and do a restoration on. I'm kind of dreading it because of the engine. At some point, the bottom end seized while it sat for a long period. The rod seized to the crank throw pin, but I did manage to get the jug off of it and free it up with PB Blaster. It turns free now, but to do it right, I need to pull it apart and check the pin and roller bearing for the rod. There's very few people or shops around anymore who know how to split the crank apart to get to that stuff, and I sure as heck don't. I learned of a guy in Maggie Valley, NC that is near me, who is supposed to be a whiz at old dirt bike 2 stroke motors, so I'm gonna look him up and see if he will give me a hand. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this bike. A few years ago, another member....and I think it was @mbaird restored an old dirt bike to new condition. That was an interesting thread, as I am sure this one will be.

:thumbsup:

1999 rm250 ... Not a bad year really but not a good year for finding parts... A few years earlier no problem getting parts or 2 later, tons of parts, this one more hens teeth... :BangHead: ...
Of course all stuff I find afterwards...

LOL.....I like about anything that has wheels on it and goes fast! I love dirt bikes. I've got an old (74) Suzuki TS185 that I really should down and do a restoration on. I'm kind of dreading it because of the engine. At some point, the bottom end seized while it sat for a long period. The rod seized to the crank throw pin, but I did manage to get the jug off of it and free it up with PB Blaster. It turns free now, but to do it right, I need to pull it apart and check the pin and roller bearing for the rod. There's very few people or shops around anymore who know how to split the crank apart to get to that stuff, and I sure as heck don't. I learned of a guy in Maggie Valley, NC that is near me, who is supposed to be a whiz at old dirt bike 2 stroke motors, so I'm gonna look him up and see if he will give me a hand. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this bike. A few years ago, another member....and I think it was @mbaird restored an old dirt bike to new condition. That was an interesting thread, as I am sure this one will be.

:thumbsup:
Hold on to your shorts have I got a story to tell...

OK, I'll start at the beginning back at Post one. I missed my dirt bike and wanted to get another one. I sold my 98 yz250 for $1500 4 years ago would be worth 3 grand right now, which also eats away at me LOL.
So I'm looking at bikes anywhere from 2,500 to 3 grand and they are pretty decent, but these are recreational vehicles. And who knows what the h*** has been done to them? Or what problems I'll have..?.. This one popped up for $1500 and I knew it was gonna have trouble, but i'd test drove it in first and second gear just around the slow field and seemed to run okay.. It was obvious though it had its problems.. First, the headset was looser in a dog's hind leg and I knew that needed attention, and then there was this glob of JB weld on the side of the clutch case... :rolleyes: The guy hadn't had it very long and said that he thought it was the sight hole for oil. The the glass piece might have broke out. And maybe the JB welded over it, but he didn't know.. That was his theory but I wasn't buying it, well actually I did buy it...
So I took it home and what you're saying. Post one is what I got....

I think I have a complete front end assembly for that bike J par. It’s not doing me any good if you need anything. Wheel, trees, brakes, forks.

Oh I forgot I am blocked , someone quote this so He will see it.

:lol:

It’s not a all or nothing deal, if he needs something I have it’s here.
I would rather see the stuff used.

Let me know when your ready for the meat and potatoes.. :thumbsup: ...
Let me guess, you are going to put a track on it and make a snow rig out of it? Hah!
I have quarreled with my self over and over about getting a dirt bike or enduro again. 250 is just the right size! I got plenty of acreage and lots of elevation changes. Then I think of all the rocks! Then I think about my zeal for going fast and thus far sanity and common sense prevail. But while I love riding my big bike on the highways there is just something totally different about riding thru the woods. But I think I would try a four stroke as I have never ridden one? The technology has sure advanced. But nothing says dirt like a YZ 250!

Let me guess, you are going to put a track on it and make a snow rig out of it? Hah!
I have quarreled with my self over and over about getting a dirt bike or enduro again. 250 is just the right size! I got plenty of acreage and lots of elevation changes. Then I think of all the rocks! Then I think about my zeal for going fast and thus far sanity and common sense prevail. But while I love riding my big bike on the highways there is just something totally different about riding thru the woods. But I think I would try a four stroke as I have never ridden one? The technology has sure advanced. But nothing says dirt like a YZ 250!
Last one I had was a YZ 490.
It was stupid fast and yes it hurt every time I rode it and that was when I was 26 years old.

It was a Four speed and once you had it going you never took it out of second gear.

-
Back