Any lawn pro's with some advice?

-
I got one of these used from a golf course. Mine doesn't have a metal bar on it. Heavier than fencing, Has enough weight to move some dirt, but really more of a finishing tool. You'll need to get your dirt spread/ raked pretty good before a drag will work right. There not cheap new, maybe rental place would have something. I guess a piece of fence with a few rocks on top could do similar...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 71
I just got a lot of rain this spring. We are in a drought. They put us on water restriction one day a week. Unless you hand water with a garden hose.

I kept my back yard alive, but barely. The front yard went to crap. I have a garden salad of weeds this year.

Big hammer if your in oregon, then you prob get a lot of rain. Try saint augustine grass. It comes in squares, and after a few years it tends to creep and grow into spots you didnt think possible for anything to grow, plus once it knits into place, you will notice no more weeds where its fully established. It chokes everything out.

My back yard is fully established, so its pretty good. My front yard tho was on its way till the drought. It cuts nice, plus oncec stablished, you can cut plugs of grass from the established grass, and plant the plugs in other areas of your yard to keep it spreading.

I am concidering more of a zerascape in my front yard with a smaller footprint of grass, and leaving my back yard all grass.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm hoping to implement some of these ideas so I can mow my lawn with my rider without feeling like I just got beat up because of how bumpy it is. So what's the deal with "sandy soil" as the leveler? Do I just mix sand with the dirt? We have real good black dirt around here. So, Spread the dirt, roll it, aerate it, then seed it?

Fresh screened top soil works fine. Just might settle more over time in larger holes. The sand blend is just really nice to work with. A lot of screened top soil has sand blended in to make it smoother. Unscreened soil will work it is just a lot more work. Roll lawn then fill low spots. Don't compact new soil it will grow way better, and seed. Little mulch on top will help but not necessary in the spring. Don't forget the fertilizer.
If you really want to know what fertilizer you need pull a few soil samples and take it to an ag chemical dealer and they can get it analyzed. Probably cost bout $20

-
Back