any one live by Summit(Oh) need a converter

-

midlife89

Reaction score
Summit (Oh) has 2 Hughes Street Master converters for a 360 for 100 ea plus 25% off clearance racks.Don't know if their a good brand,so I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Summit (Oh) has 2 Hughes Street Master converters for a 360 for 100 ea plus 25% off clearance racks.Don't know if their a good brand,so I just thought I'd throw that out there.
You really get what you pay for with converter. The Hughes converters from what I have read over and over again, have an inconsistent stall point and a pump design made by a 5th grader. IMO, buy a quality piece after saving up. Save the Hughes converter for someone who wants to put trash in front of their transmission. No offense intended, but cheaping out on a converter is not the place to go budget at.

Better than nothing tho! lol. I have used cheap converters before, and although I am sure I would have had better performance from a quality-built converter, at least I got to have some fun when I didn't have money!

I'm with Pangasket on getting what you pay for but I haven't heard hardly any negative feedback about Hughes converters. I've used 2 and they both worked great. One lived behind a torquey Chevy 454 in a 1 ton super cab work truck that got ran real hard. Was still working fine yrs. after installation when the 454 gave up the ghost. The other one I put in a buddies 440 challenger and it's still working fine. The problem with off the shelf converters and stall ratings are the stall speed produced mainly depends on the torque output of the engine driving it. You can buy an off the shelf converter that's rated at 2500 stall and put it behind a stock 273 2 barrel and you might be lucky to get it to stall much over 2000 rpm. Put the same converter behind a stout 440 and it may stall close to 3000. For that reason much erroneous information is written about converters. I rarely buy off the shelf converters anymore cause I like them to stall exactly what I want. If I do buy an off the shelf I take the rating with a grain of salt.

I agree with both of you, I have experienced my fair share of converter woes (TCI breakaway behind a mild olds 455, stalled at 2800 when I installed it, 200 miles later it was stalling at 3600! I worked at summit at the time, so I asked a TCI rep about it, claiming we had a customer with that problem lol, and he was clueless. Said it sounded like the torque was causing the fins to bend back, increasing the stall. My 455 was just a 9.5:1 with a 224 cam, home ported heads, not a powerhouse. Still had maniolds, ran 13.8 @ 100 with 2.41 gears. I think the converters should have held up. Happened twice.)

I just meant that for the money, and being a mild stall, if you want to drive your car and have some fun, that it wasn't a bad deal. :thumbup:

You do get what you pay for...if you are lucky! lol

-
Back