any paving experts on here?

-
Just given ya a bad time. If your happy with
it that's all that matters. You will enjoy the get together a around it.

I'm guessing I need to use the same base for the stacked stone retaining wall I'm about to build?

thanks 4speed, this fire didn't make it till the evening (had a ton of stuff planned) but it sure was a good one

I cooked hotdogs and popcorn for lunch :)

Yes. How high are you going ?
4-5 feet. Four preferred, but a portion may have to go to five.
I was planning on a soil barrier fabric, and then a 1-2" diameter gravel back fill behind the stones, maybe eight to twelve inches from stones to soil, with a 3-4" pvc drain at the bottom of the gravel, similar to how you'd French drain a foundation.

But I have no idea how to do the base under the stones so they don't walk with water penetration and frost heaving

And congrats on the fire pit, op. Now I know how mine is going to go! Thank you for posting here, this site kicks ace

4-5 feet. Four preferred, but a portion may have to go to five.
I was planning on a soil barrier fabric, and then a 1-2" diameter gravel back fill behind the stones, maybe eight to twelve inches from stones to soil, with a 3-4" pvc drain at the bottom of the gravel, similar to how you'd French drain a foundation.

But I have no idea how to do the base under the stones so they don't walk with water penetration and frost heaving
Sounds like you have a good plan on the back fill. Make sure before covering the rock with soil the cover it with fabric so it keeps it separated.
You will want to dig down below your normal frost line about 6 -8" and pack it with crushed gravel. Add 1" of sand on top of it. Make sure it is level, level , level. Your first row of block should be below grade and use blocks that you can pin together. do not rely on the blocks with the lip on the rear for anything over a couple of feet high. By pinning the blocks together it will keep them in place for a long time.
Here is a video that shows some of the reasons retaining wall fail

Good luck with it and post some pictures when it is done

Sounds like you have a good plan on the back fill. Make sure before covering the rock with soil the cover it with fabric so it keeps it separated.
You will want to dig down below your normal frost line about 6 -8" and pack it with crushed gravel. Add 1" of sand on top of it. Make sure it is level, level , level. Your first row of block should be below grade and use blocks that you can pin together. do not rely on the blocks with the lip on the rear for anything over a couple of feet high. By pinning the blocks together it will keep them in place for a long time.
Here is a video that shows some of the reasons retaining wall fail

Good luck with it and post some pictures when it is done

Thanks for the information! Now off to try and find affordable stones!

speaking of cooking
I made some hobo pies on the fire last night

put some biscuit dough in the pie iron, half a can of apple or cherry filling

very tasty

and then when the kids were raking up the fire I tossed some firecrackers in there, id forgotten how
much fun that is

-
Back