Any Ramcharger owners?

-

Wrencher

Reaction score
I am considering buying an 87 Ramcharger with no front axles to part out and scrap. I am going to tuck the v8 away for a possible donor in the future. Anyone think they would have a need for some parts from a good straight Ramcharger? I havent bought it yet but an seriously considering it.

X2. People who are into those trucks would be happy to find a 'good straight' one like you describe. It would be a shame to part out and ultimately scrap a decent one. They are commonly rusted out. An axle is a relatively easy thing to find and install.

If you're just looking for an engine, LA small blocks are still pretty common and usually very cheap.

X2. People who are into those trucks would be happy to find a 'good straight' one like you describe. It would be a shame to part out and ultimately scrap a decent one. They are commonly rusted out. An axle is a relatively easy thing to find and install.

If you're just looking for an engine, LA small blocks are still pretty common and usually very cheap.

and also if the ramcharger doesn't need much it could be a quick flip for more spending money towards an nicer LA engine

I dont know..... as I was typing that post I had a little voise in my head asking me why not just fix it. I had an '86 when I was in my early 20's and really did like it. They are nice and big on the inside. I could probably be convinced to fix it but I worry about what is missing from the front end. I have no idea how the front axles work on these trucks and I imagine them being hard to come by. The two front seats are trashed as if the framing is coming apart. All things considered though the truck is very solid, and it appears as though there is little to no rust in it.

Then I'm sure its got the Dodge wander, which would require the coupler rebuild. And the engine/tranny/brakes which would be a complete mystery. It had to be parked for a reason.

I'll take some pictures of it and let you guys have a look for yourselves. You can see what you think.

My son and I have Ramchargers, I love mine but he found one made in Mexico and has a 360 and front sway bar :protest: Now I want a sway bar :glasses7: But I am happy for him :cheers: I could use door mirrors and and a stereo
Center caps for the wheels, What wheels are on it, my son needs a center console and wing widow keepers.. The back seat arm rests ...Yes please do post up some pictures .

Here is mine , It's white and my son's is Brown/gold dust..
I have had this hood on 4 trucks in the last 15 years and this is the first time it has ever been on a Ramcharger, I built it 15 years ago with the help of a friend and his plasma cutter :glasses7:

Attachments

• 904 trans RC 072.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 221
  • Avenger 1 001.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Night time ramcharger 036.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Brother DAN 071.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 232
I'll take some pictures of it and let you guys have a look for yourselves. You can see what you think.

Yes please do, and remember who asked first :D and recommended you too, ;)

I have one,88 360 4bbl 3.21 LS,158k miles...4x4..wish it were a 2 whd so I could stuff a 440 in it easier,but its a nice trk even the A/c still works,power everything,will tow anything and in 4 wheel low its a beast,has the factory finned alum wheels kinda like dukes of hazard,had rebuilt trans and transfer case a couple yrs back,have several x-tra parts for it...may be putting it up for sale or trading it for a pick-up soon,also replaced the steering box,it would wander alot...2 tone grey/drk grey,dual exh no cats,try to get some pics of it in a day or 2...

I had a beautiful 1985, red on red 2 wheel drive. Sold it to my neighbor and she trashed it in a year!!!

I would put a front axle in and drive.
Just find a donor in the junkyard and pull the parts, same front end as a truck, just be sure you match the ratios on the rear end.
The good thing is most of the time the front axles dont go bad, so finding one should be easy.

heres one i used to have and can now get it back, and have been thinking about it.:burnout:

Attachments

• dodge ram.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 219
Ramchargers are awesome! I had 3 of them. 84,85, and 93. Just sold the 93 for 6,000 when I bought my new Ram last month. I personally like the carb engines for the ease of maintenance. The 93 was nice, but all the computer controls were a bit much for me.

i had a red/white with maroon interior 86 ramcharger 318 4x4 for about 8 years. it was a great truck. i put "off road" 15x33s on it and there was nothing the truck wouldn't go through. it was also a great cruising truck on the highway. forget gas miliage though - average 10mpg and "maybe" 15 on a good day. there aren't many good ones on ebay. i would try and sell it there before i parted/scrapped it. also, the rear hatch is all fiberglass and hard to find in good condition. as a die-hard mopar guy, i would encourage you to try and find a good home for this truck other than the graveyard.

Good morning folks, sorry about going AWAL, I had a very busy weekend. My truck is at 134000 miles and needed a major tune up, buddy from work needed a fuel pump in his only running vehicle, and a man from church has a broken down Buick. Needless to say it was a lot to do in just two days. However, in the midst of all that I managed to strike a deal on the Ramcharger. I need to get a tow truck to get it to my house so I can give it a bath and assess the vehicle better.Here are a few pictures as promised.

I bought and pulled the intake off of it a month ago, the inside of the engine looks clean, and I covered it up with a mat to make sure rainwater stayed out of it. After I gave the guy the money, he told me about the problems the truck has.

1 - The ignition switch is bad, he has a toggle switch and a push button installed to run the truck.

2 - The front hubs were removed so he could put locking hubs on it. He had to go out of town unexpectedly after he got the hubs removed so he left it disassembled with the new parts in the floorboard of the truck. When he got back in town a few days later, someone had stolen all of the parts, hubs and all. He got pissed and that was the last time he messed with it.

3 - No intake - I bought it a few months ago to install on my brothers Dodge...... DAMMIT!!!! Truck has a 5.9 4bbl QuadraBog. Owner said it was a terrible carburetor, and he rebuilt it, but it didnt help. Imagine that....

Truck has been sitting since 2003. According to him, his parents bought it brand new, and he got it from them around 1998.

Quick update. I was able to locate the hubs on the ramchargercentral forums. The guy sold me everything from the backing plates forward for $100 shipped, SCORE!!

Looks like I have changed my mind on the direction I'm going to go with this. I'm going to work on sorting out its problems. First things first, I need to get it towed to the house, and clean it up and out...... its terrible.

I went and looked it over last night, it might be a decently optioned truck. I know the 360 4BBL engine was an option, which it came with. It also had what appears to be a factory roll cage. Maybe it has the lower gears as well. Someone added a U-haul trailer hitch to it at some point.

Cool :glasses7: , and yes, I had a 75 model with the removable top that had a factory installed roll bar in the back. I think it was a 75 model :eek:ops: It has been at least 25 years ago..

nice! it looks pretty good in there.
I actually like the older body style better but for the money I'm going to have tied up in it I'm not complaining.

OK, So last night, I got it towed to my home and put up on jack stands. I've already gotten two offers on it lol, but I graciously declined as I have ordered a few parts for it already. As stated before, I got on the ramchargercentral forums. Thats rotors, hubs, retaining nuts, backing plates, brake calipers, and bearing surfaces. Im thrilled with that.

Then I was able to source a Holley double pumper 650 for $150. I got on ebay and got one of those knock off air gap aluminum intakes from KMJ performance for another $165 shipped. Then I got on rock auto, and ordered the front brake hoses, plugs, cap & rotor, wires, and intake gasket set.

All said and done the truck will owe me about $900 when or if I decide to sell it. Very acceptable in my opinion. I think the truck will be able to make me some money as long as I spend more frugally from here on out.

The truck does have some rust as it turns out. I found that the RR lower fender, behind the tire is rusted out. Not a game changer, but I was disappointed to see it.

I gave it a couple baths to knock some of the ugly off, went through the interior because it was a catch all for the previous owner, I will post some interior shots when It's been completely emptied. My garbage can is full of **** until trash collection day lol.

ramchargers and dodge trucks are some of the few dodge vehicles that you can buy new fenders for, and many other parts

-
Back