any record (45/LP0) record collectors?

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
have a couple boxes of LP's to sell and a little over 600 45's. leaving out the rare versions, what is a general selling price for these? if you are at a show and a guy has boxes under the table, what are those going for? I think the neatest one I have is "Be Good to yourself at least once a day" with the fold out still intact. that may go up on the wall because it's so unique. and, yes, we have both kinds of music: country and western. and rock and/or roll and various others. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got all kinds. I really like Flying Burrito Brothers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Pure Prairie League.
My kids are even into them. You can get just about any new music on record these days.

I may be interested in some if you have my flavor.

There’s a record website like eBay. You can make an account and just start selling them off or trade.
Discog.com

^ Yep, go on Discogs and search away. It's all record nerds. Put your rabbit hole shoes on.

There's also a function where you can list your whole collection and the program will give you an estimated value based on condition and desirability.

https://www.discogs.com/

Probably not worth all that much. I saw several boxes of records at a flea market a while back, and most of them were just a few bucks.

selling vinyl is legit hard work. buyers are all about condition so they'll want a million very detailed pictures and ask very pointed questions about grade and play quality. does it have this, does it have that, are the corners crisp, how's the lettering on the spine, etx etx.

much like buying a super sought after NOS piece.

out of a huge collection you might have a handful of very rare pieces that are worth 50, 75, 100 but all the rest will likely fall into the 2~5 range or 10 maybe 15.

shipping them is an adventure as well.

i had a friend pass and "inherited" his collection, i picked a few of the choice bits for myself. i tried selling off piece by piece and it was such a time suck that made zero money and was just all aggrivation. so sold the ones i knew were high dollar, sold the rest in sets to his DJ friends, and then donated what was left.

if you're serious about it, jump on u-tube there's a bunch of tutorials on selling/grading/shipping, etc. you can use discogs and ebay to run your comps for pricing.

good luck!

Personally I don’t go over just a few dollars unless it’s something like a Johnny Cash or Zepplin. Even then, as said, it’s all about condition. You gotta keep in mind too that those iconic albums were mass produced so even if you have a hugely popular album it’s just one of many millions.

One of the cool things about records, for me, is that their cheap, collectible, and vintage.

have a couple boxes of LP's to sell and a little over 600 45's. leaving out the rare versions, what is a general selling price for these? if you are at a show and a guy has boxes under the table, what are those going for? I think the neatest one I have is "Be Good to yourself at least once a day" with the fold out still intact. that may go up on the wall because it's so unique. and, yes, we have both kinds of music: country and western. and rock and/or roll and various others. Thanks!
I've been into records my entire life, and right now I have about 5,000-6,000 LP's, maybe 10k 45's, about 1,000 78's, and I agree with most of what has been posted already:
* Selling them one by one is a HUGE time suck
* Discogs is a pretty good site for buying & selling
* Unless they are in MINT condition, "commodity" LP's in "Good" to "VG" condition (Goldmine Record Ratings) go for about $2-$5 US each, and 45's for roughly the same, except for Christmas records (jukebox stuffers).

My advice: Keep what you like, sell whatever you feel may be we worth a few bucks (you'll have to be VERY honest with yourself here, as the Buyers will rip you a new one if your grading is off), offer-up whatever remains to your friends, and then take the remaining records to a local shop who deals in used records and either drop them off, or take whatever they offer for them and buy yourself a Happy Meal or three.

Last edited:
My favorite part of the San Diego to Oklahoma round trip I did 3 times a year for 10 years was stopping at Spinning Jenny’s on I-40 n Shamrock, TX. Jenny didn’t have an online presence and sold records at fair prices and also sold new music which is where the money is (Taylor Swift album $20-$30?). Her used stuff was quality marked with colored stickers. She sold them based on condition more so than the artist.
Well, she didn’t make it. There was always a customer or two in the store. She was right next door to a historic gas station.
IMG_5053.jpeg

If she would have been online or shipped I think it would have done well.
There’s just something else about going to a store and thumbing through records. Online record buying seems weird to me. I think it’s the “rummaging” feeling.
IMG_8176.jpeg

Agree about several things-

1- Discogs

2- can be a lot of work

3- condition is king, and can be subjective

4- shipping and damage

I suppose I am a collector. Technically, if you own more than one, you have a collection.

I have about 150, mostly mid 1960's to late 1980's, rock and metal.

A few specialty, promo copy, picture disk, colored vinyl, etc.

Recently picked up a VGC to EC 1st pressing Zeppelin IV but really isn't too valuable. Paid $5.

Probably the most valuable I have are, in no particular order:

1973 Dark Side Of The Moon, with the stickers, post cards, and poster IMO VGC (can be $3500 depending on condition and pressing (in run out groove)).
Judas Priest Sad Wins Of Destiny picture disk VGC (can be $150)
Metallica Jump In The Fire EP and Creeping Death EP red vinyl original press hard to find EC (can be $100 ea)
Beatles Sgt Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour original press with multi-page booklets GC

Also recently picked a turn table I really don't need.
I have five already including a Sony linear tacker and an Empire 698.
Couldn't pass this one up for $7.

20240130_125451.jpg

Needs speed adjust pots cleaned- common issue with this TT.

I just have some new (not near as good) turn table and BT speakers. I don't care so much about pressings or anything. I just want to hear the sound. More power to you if you want a record as an investment but I am just as happy with a re-release, low grade album. would love to find a complete stack.
What I would like to search out is a good vintage system. I don't even know where to begin and I would love to find a matching equalizer, turntable , cassette .. from the late 70's or 80's. An acquaintance had a high quality system that really brought life to the music. My new tech equipment doesn't deliver the sound anywhere close to those old systems.

I just have some new (not near as good) turn table and BT speakers. I don't care so much about pressings or anything. I just want to hear the sound. More power to you if you want a record as an investment but I am just as happy with a re-release, low grade album. would love to find a complete stack.
What I would like to search out is a good vintage system. I don't even know where to begin and I would love to find a matching equalizer, turntable , cassette .. from the late 70's or 80's. An acquaintance had a high quality system that really brought life to the music. My new tech equipment doesn't deliver the sound anywhere close to those old systems.
As a self-described Recovering Audiophile, that's a HUGE "rabbit hole" to go down! Been there, done that.

But seriously, truly "vintage" gear costs pretty good money these days, as guys our age are buying the stuff they couldn't afford Back in the Day, and they're jacking the prices up. (Sound familiar?)

There are some vintage audio sites out there, but all of my links are on the home computer, so I can't help you with them right at this minute. However, if you have a particular brand in mind (Kenwood, Marantz, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, etc) and want to just snoop around a bit, maybe check out both Audiogon (gear for sale) and Audio Asylum (audio forum) as good first steps.

And feel free to drop me a PM if you feel I can help.

Good luck!

(Edit: Another good site to poke around is US Audio Mart: US Audio Mart America's Newest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds . There's a Canuck version as well, if you don't mind the Customs fees.)

Last edited:
My favorite part of the San Diego to Oklahoma round trip I did 3 times a year for 10 years was stopping at Spinning Jenny’s on I-40 n Shamrock, TX. Jenny didn’t have an online presence and sold records at fair prices and also sold new music which is where the money is (Taylor Swift album $20-$30?). Her used stuff was quality marked with colored stickers. She sold them based on condition more so than the artist.
Well, she didn’t make it. There was always a customer or two in the store. She was right next door to a historic gas station.
View attachment 1716204631

If she would have been online or shipped I think it would have done well.
There’s just something else about going to a store and thumbing through records. Online record buying seems weird to me. I think it’s the “rummaging” feeling.
View attachment 1716204646
If your travels ever take you to Pittsburgh, Jerry's Records is "The Place". I've been going there for maybe 20-25 years, enough so that Jerry would remember my name on one of my semi-annual visits. (Of course the fact that I would drop $500-$750 on each visit may have been a factor in his remembering me as well.)

(RIP, Jerry. And thank you!)

I'm far from a collector, I probably have 100 or so that I either had myself or got from my parents.
I have purchased a few in recent years primarily to get a better cover that could be displayed.
A few problems I was having were cut corners, punched holes and ring wear from the album.

My early 60s console, all original and fully functioning (top of the cabinet is under restoration).
IMG_8356.JPG

Alan

Discogs os good advice fr general idea pricing keep in mind there are firts pressings for example Blac sabbath Paranoid is it a 1970 pressing or a reissue from the 80s? all that matters plus if the record skips etc. I go to a used vinyl shop where the owners clean and spin every record check for skips then price accordingly anything too far gone they dont sell. Ive paid anywhere from 10.00 to 25.00 depending on what it is / Popular stuff is pricey beatles stones etc if in good shape. Good luck I think if you do your research and are patient you may be able to make a buck. I would a[[roach it lile this, Id look up the ones I think are rare and valuable seperate them out and then try and sell the avearage value stuff in a bulk deal to a used Vinyl store but thats just an idea.

Thank-you all for your advice and suggestions. Yes, a lump sum sale will probably be the way to do it. I've done it once before but you know, if you keep a few, more come and attach themselves. Speaking of old equipment, Dad have a stereo, 2 piece. One had turntable, radio and speaker. Other was a speaker only. Magnavox I believe. He played a marching band record on it rather loud. Mom told me a few neighbors came out of their houses looking for the parade. We had no room for it when we moved so a friend has it. Still works, tubes and all. I got a JVC turntable and equalizer from him. Speakers are small heavy magnet units but work well enough.

I'm far from a collector, I probably have 100 or so that I either had myself or got from my parents.
I have purchased a few in recent years primarily to get a better cover that could be displayed.
A few problems I was having were cut corners, punched holes and ring wear from the album.

My early 60s console, all original and fully functioning (top of the cabinet is under restoration).
View attachment 1716204723

Alan
Like your console stereo! Also your choice of wall decoration.

If your travels ever take you to Pittsburgh, Jerry's Records is "The Place". I've been going there for maybe 20-25 years, enough so that Jerry would remember my name on one of my semi-annual visits. (Of course the fact that I would drop $500-$750 on each visit may have been a factor in his remembering me as well.)

(RIP, Jerry. And thank you!)
I've been to Jerry's! You can spend a lot of time in there. Most anything of value gets picked up quickly so you'd be extremely lucky or willing to pay a lot to come out of there with anything special.

I just logged in to Dicogs which I haven't done in a long time. I actually need to update some recent purchases but I checked my collection's current value -

Estimated Collection Value: Low $4,394.28 Med $11,183.03 High $22,172.64

Now, there's no way I'd ever expect to get the high value. A lot of the records I own I got when I was a teenager. They were used accordingly without any real thought of future collectible value. While not completely trashed, none of them are in pristine shape so even if they are rare, the condition brings the value down significantly. Records I bought later in life tend to be in better condition because I'd buy them and just put them away.

It just so happened that the type of music I liked back then wasn't terribly popular so most of what I had was limited to a few hundred or few thousand copies. 40-45 years later, these records command a lot of money on the collector market. If I sold everything I'd hope to get somewhere close to the median value but even that might be pushing it. I won't sell them but it's fun to know that they are worth something.

That's kind of the Discogs effect which is similar to what Ebay did to the world of buying and selling of things. These sites have basically become national advertising for your wares. Like Ebay, people put stuff up with outrageous pricing hoping they'll catch a sucker but I believe most deals for valuable records happen through private transactions where prices are negotiated to more reasonable levels. It's the same with car stuff.

A lot of people in record nerd world use Discogs as a reference so it does tend to be the arbiter of pricing, however artificial or unrealistic. How many times have you been in the trenches at a swap meet and hear something like, "I need more for that record, I can get double that on Discogs!"

I had found a box of Dinky and Corgi toys at a resale shop. Paint $10 for about 25 of them. Bought a book on each brand, went for the "decent" condition price. May have moved up or down depending on how I felt about the vehicle. Took them to a local show and was sold out in two hours. High values are nice but fair prices will sell quicker BUT you still need a starting point value. Gonna spend some time looking up prices!

Some of those old console stereo units have a following whole others have nice, sought after turn tables that people extract, and also the tube amplifiers get extracted....and some have cool speakers.

Some of those old console stereo units have a following whole others have nice, sought after turn tables that people extract, and also the tube amplifiers get extracted....and some have cool speakers.

I just di a little googling and I don't think I'm going to be in the market. I was seeing old Pioneers going for like $7000!

My folks still have a record player/radio from who knows when but the records are all 78's. I saw Glen Miller and Count Basey in the collection.

-
Back