Any small engine gurus out there?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
The house we just bought came with an old Murray riding lawnmower and I am trying to get her running. It has a 12hp Briggs motor and I am looking for a new coil. The only numbers on the old coil are stamped/melted on the plastic cover and are 94 39P dose that ring any bells with anyone? where do I look for the model number of the motor?

The number for the motor should be somewhere on the shroud around the flywheel, but could be anywhere on the engine. get all of the number, because its often the last four digits that determine application.

Had a lot of the Briggs engines lose ignition. Never saw one that needed a coil. There are 2 magnets recessed into the inner lip on the flywheel. They get rusty over time and finally don't produce enough magnetism to fire the plug. Pull the flywheel and sand the rust off the magnets. When they are nice and shiny, put it back together and you should have fire at the plug.

Are you sure you don't have spark? Number one cause an old machine won't run is old gas. If that's the case, you'll have to rebuild the carb and flush the tank and line.
If no spark, disconnect the black wire running up under the shroud. It grounds the mag to shut it off. This will eliminate the switch as a problem.
With respect to Grumpus, rust on the magnets is only a problem if it is built up enough to eliminate the gap between the magnets and the coil. -Gap should be about .012, depends on the engine. Every engine out there has rust on the magnets.
As mentioned, the numbers will be on the shroud, near the plug or fan. Go here for more info: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/

These guys are good, too: http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=438875ecb7a0cf3b8e1bf58303a63a19

Model, Type and Code should be stamped on the blower housing or one of the covers over the heads. Find that and I will pull the troubleshooting guide for it and scan it for you.

The last time it was cranked there was smoke coming from the coil. I may or may not have hooked up the little relay under the seat backasswards. :cheers:

model = 282707 type = 012201 code = 9411094E

Murray riding lawn mower

Model= 282707 serial = 94346-005774

Hey JR. To check for spark , take out the plug and have Niki hold it in her hand while you try and crank it. You'll both know if it has spark. When she gets up after it knocks her on her but she'll knock you on your but and then you'll really know. I can get a real mental pic of that one. LMAO. Now for the real help. That Murry is a Wally unit. See where they recommend taking em for repars but dont do it. Go talk to the guy that does it every day and he maybe of some real help for ya at no expense other than your time. I dont tink the coil is suppose to smoke though.
Small Block

Had a lot of the Briggs engines lose ignition. Never saw one that needed a coil. There are 2 magnets recessed into the inner lip on the flywheel. They get rusty over time and finally don't produce enough magnetism to fire the plug. Pull the flywheel and sand the rust off the magnets. When they are nice and shiny, put it back together and you should have fire at the plug.
You nailed it grumpus :happy10: I was a small engine repairman in the day and that is the most occurring problem I would see.
And Bill is right , A coil that smoked is shorted out and no good...
I have a 12 1/2 HP MTD and it is an easy fix JR. remove the top engine cover and replace the coil, they are one wire and plug wire, You can do it :cheers:

Most of the time, a coil that is smoked, is caused by the wrong ignition switch being installed, sending 12 volts to the coil. The little wire to the coil is to ground it to shut off the engine. Send 12 volts there, poof, bad coil!!

-
Back