Any Straight Axle guys here?

-

Mopartist

Reaction score
Hey guys; I usually hang out over at another Mopar site, and recently I started considering a straight axle for my 1965 Dart project. If anyone here has some experience in this kind of modification; I'd like to talk to you, and pick your brain a bit. I'm not going with an "altered wheelbase" conversion however; I want to keep it close to stock wheelbase if possible. Here's what I've got so far:

re-relocate 3.jpg

Someday.....I have the axle and A-100 seats, now I just need another early A-body!!

Mopartist, good to see you here from BBD. It looks like you found a real good source with funnycar farmer. Good luck with your project.

Ask away. I built the HotRod Delux Dart. But, here is a picture of my most recent Dart:

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/shop-projects-1/shop-projects/dsc0371.html

You can also poke around here:
www.thefunnycarfarm.com

Dale

Hi Dale; I was hoping to get in touch with you. I'm an old buddy of Mike Morgan's, and I've been talking with him a little bit on this subject.

I checked out the straight axle kits from Speedway Automotive and will probably go with something like that instead of using an A100 van axle. (I have minimal fab experience) I'd like to keep my wheelbase pretty much stock, and plan on keeping the headers inside the frame rails. I have a new MP Disc Brake kit that I bought previously to deciding to go with a straight axle. I'd like to be able to use it (being that I've had it new in the box for so long now; I probably couldn't return it.) The thing I'm wondering is what spindles I would need to be able to use those disc brakes? (They are conversions for the stock slant 6 car)
Also; I'm wondering about clearance for the oil pan if I don't move the axle forward? I assume I would use my stock K frame for the steering box and motor mounts? By the way; I have your DVD for building an altered wheelbase car; but I don't know if it would work positioning the axle in more of a stock fore/aft location.

I'd also like to talk to you about some graphic design for your website. I think you guys may be starting a new nostalgia trend!

e-mail me at [email protected] if you have some time

Dart Attack3.jpg

Hi Dale; I was hoping to get in touch with you. I'm an old buddy of Mike Morgan's, and I've been talking with him a little bit on this subject.

I checked out the straight axle kits from Speedway Automotive and will probably go with something like that instead of using an A100 van axle. (I have minimal fab experience) I'd like to keep my wheelbase pretty much stock, and plan on keeping the headers inside the frame rails. I have a new MP Disc Brake kit that I bought previously to deciding to go with a straight axle. I'd like to be able to use it (being that I've had it new in the box for so long now; I probably couldn't return it.) The thing I'm wondering is what spindles I would need to be able to use those disc brakes? (They are conversions for the stock slant 6 car)
Also; I'm wondering about clearance for the oil pan if I don't move the axle forward? I assume I would use my stock K frame for the steering box and motor mounts? By the way; I have your DVD for building an altered wheelbase car; but I don't know if it would work positioning the axle in more of a stock fore/aft location.

You'd have to call MP and find out if they would be compatible with Speedways spindles. I've never gone that route, and my gut tells me they won't work with their set-up. There is a car here in SoCal with a straightaxle set-up in the stock location, a primered Dart we spyed one night at Irwindale. I have no idea what they came up with for a pan configuration, 'cause in my mind a stock height small block pan will work, but a deep center sump like what Steve had on his Ramapage Dart would come into contact with the tube axle. In my opinion, try to keep the K-member intact and use it. If not, by ditching it, you get tons of room to play with, but the catch is you have to come up with a new steering box, like a Vega or Flaming River unit, which also helps with setting up a steering link. Confused? Me too!!!
Clearly, back in the sixties there was alot of experimentation with these cars. No two were ever alike. Its the same with ours. I dare say you will learn fabrication skills, whether you want to or not. Feel free to ask away. I'll try to help out whenever I can!
Dale

-
Back