Any tips or 'how to' instructions on replacing seatback foam?

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
More and more I notice my lower back is sore the next morning after cruising in my Barracuda. The lower seat foam was replaced about 7yrs ago buy a local shop but the upper seatback foam is original. I like to try this myself some time soon since I still have the upper foam piece laying around. Anyone got a quick tips or 'how to' instructional? Any special tools? Its a bucket seat for a '66 Barracuda.
Thanks in advance!

I recently did mine which are 73 bucket seats. I could not find anyone who made replacement foam for these so I had to salvage what I had. I was lucky enough that I was able to get the old covers off without the foam falling to pieces on me. I decided to put new covers on as well and soon noticed that this was gonna be one hell of a wrestling match. I bought 1/2" upholstry foam and spray adhesive and built the worn out foam core back up and adding a little extra in the lumbar area. After trying to wrestle these covers on I figured a few tricks.
1. Let the new covers sit in the sun and get good and warm
2. Take a garment plastic bag, like you get from a dry cleaner and cover the foam.
3. Give the plastic bag a light rub with some armour all
4. Use a blow dryer to apply a little heat in spots as needed
The bag should make your life a lot easier to slide the new covers on and you will not notice it at all when finished.
Hope this helps.

-
Back