Any Tips Or Tricks

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be repainting my park/turn signal bezels from my grill on my Demon this weekend. Any tips you can share on masking or painting these? I know it's not rocket science, but the members here always seem to have super ideas and tricks to make things easier!!!

Also, do I just scuff them with some scotchbrite pads or do I need to sand them?

I should probably mention these are plastic and I'll be using a spray can.

Here's a trick I have used. It may not look right, might be just the "pop" you need. After you shoot on the argent, apply glue to the raised parts with a hard roller or very stif brush and then put on silver leaf (hobby store sell leaf and adhesive). Burnish it with a soft cloth,shoot it with clear and it does a pretty good imitation of chrome. Not factory, but gives a nice, finished look if you have other polished trim on the car.

Hey C, You mentioned plastic. Before you paint get you a can of Madog adhesion promoter and spray the pieces with the stuff. Good luck on it and keep us posted.
Small Block

Here's a trick I have used. It may not look right, might be just the "pop" you need. After you shoot on the argent, apply glue to the raised parts with a hard roller or very stif brush and then put on silver leaf (hobby store sell leaf and adhesive). Burnish it with a soft cloth,shoot it with clear and it does a pretty good imitation of chrome. Not factory, but gives a nice, finished look if you have other polished trim on the car.

Thx for your input 4flats. I'm actually painting them yellow though :eek: LOL. I will keep this in mind for chrome pieces in the future.

Hey C, You mentioned plastic. Before you paint get you a can of Madog adhesion promoter and spray the pieces with the stuff. Good luck on it and keep us posted.
Small Block

Great tip Small Block. Just ordered a can now.......

Can I just lightly scuff these or do I need to remove the existing paint?

And someone's got to have some masking tips please......:)

Fresh blade on your exacto knife....and blue masking tape

Thx for chiming in tomt 8). I know this is pretty basic stuff for many of you, but I'm always looking for the best way from a novice perspective. Here's a pic of one of the bezels with an adhesion promoter mentioned earlier that I now have.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Demon Turn Signals 001.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 229
Go to a paint store and get some fine-line masking tape. It comes in 1/8", 1/4", 3/16" widths. Use it to mask the clear lens - it does a much better job of preventing overspray / paint runs on the lens. It's also much stiffer than regular masking tape and easier to get a good line for painting. And just scuff it lightly, don't sand too far or you'll see where you did when it's painted.

Well, I got the bezels taped and painted yesterday. I had a heck of a time at first and thought I was going to give up. I used 1" blue painters tape and finally figured out to use small pieces to get the edges and corners straight. I sure hope this tape comes off easier than it went on!!

View attachment Turn Signal Prep & Paint 001.jpg

I know the color will have most of you scratching your heads, but it will work well with my Demon........:).

Thanks again for everyone's help. Such a great group of members we have :cheers:

View attachment Turn Signal Prep & Paint 009.jpg

-
Back