Any Toyota mechanics in the house?

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
My daughter has a 1993 Toyota Camry. During the last blizzard she got home and left the headlights on which killed the battery stone dead. I recharged the battery but the car would not start, cranked fine, but no fire. I checked for spark at the plugs and nothing. Pulled the distributor cap and noticed a lot of carbon on the rotor button, so I figured it needed a full tune up. I put new wires, plugs and a whole new distributor because it was only a few dollars more than the sum of its parts. Now comes the problem, I can't set the timing to the manual specification of 10 BTDC, I can get it to 0 or TDC and the limit of turning the distributor is reached. It runs pretty good at that setting but I wonder if it will run better if set correctly. The old distributor was bottomed out too but I didn't and couldn't check the before timing.

BTW - testing the old coil after the fact I found the coil was bad. Is there some logical explanation in killing the battery causing that to happen or was it just a coincidence?

I am still Toyota certified, although it's been many years since I was in circulation, 1993 was about when I left Toyota. That distributor should be driven by a male slot on the end of the shaft. That means it's either in right or 180* out. Kinda like a Mopar.

So, I would guess that the timing belt is stretched if you reach the end of the distributor adjustment slot and you still need more. It probably needs a timing belt.

Might as well git r done sooner than later.
Do the timing belt before it lets go and you only have the makings of another refrigerator or a chinese car in your drive

Thanks RRR, that is what I suspected. Might as well git r done sooner than later.

Don't forget all the little seals on the front of the engine and the water pump too.

Do the timing belt before it lets go and you only have the makings of another refrigerator or a chinese car in your drive

Naw. He is lucky in that aspect. The timing belt can break on that going 100 MPH with no ill effects because it's not an interference engine.

My daughter has a 1993 Toyota Camry. During the last blizzard she got home and left the headlights on which killed the battery stone dead. I recharged the battery but the car would not start, cranked fine, but no fire. I checked for spark at the plugs and nothing. Pulled the distributor cap and noticed a lot of carbon on the rotor button, so I figured it needed a full tune up. I put new wires, plugs and a whole new distributor because it was only a few dollars more than the sum of its parts. Now comes the problem, I can't set the timing to the manual specification of 10 BTDC, I can get it to 0 or TDC and the limit of turning the distributor is reached. It runs pretty good at that setting but I wonder if it will run better if set correctly. The old distributor was bottomed out too but I didn't and couldn't check the before timing.

BTW - testing the old coil after the fact I found the coil was bad. Is there some logical explanation in killing the battery causing that to happen or was it just a coincidence?
You got to get the computer to let go off control of timing to set base idle and timing.
Warm up engine to operating temperature and shut off.
Find Toyota diagnostic connector under hood and get a jumper wire and jump TE1 and E1 together and start.Then adjust your timing 10 degrees BTDC at 750rpm.

Attachments

• toy.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 100
I forgot about that too and I even still have the factory jumper wire. LOL

-
Back