Any tricks for differential removal?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
tearing apart the 8 3/4 I recently purchased to "freshen her up". I am having a little (a lot) of difficulty getting the Suregrip center out of the housing. Any tricks to make this easier?

and yes, axles have been pulled and all of the housing nuts are off.

If you're sure all of the nuts are off, put a jack under the snout below the pinion yolk. Pump just a bit and it should pop the bottom right out of the housing. After that you can wiggle it right off and the jack can support it for you after you get it slid out.

Just sayin"....maybe you missed a nut? OR you're dealing with some really aggessive gasket maker stuff/rust. Try putting pressure at front of housing with a small floor jack...GENTLY! See if you can break that stuff loose...slowly! I sometimes use a utility knife first to cut part way through the gasket material. Hope it helps.

Just sayin"....maybe you missed a nut? OR you're dealing with some really aggessive gasket maker stuff/rust. Try putting pressure at front of housing with a small floor jack...GENTLY! See if you can break that stuff loose...slowly! I sometimes use a utility knife first to cut part way through the gasket material. Hope it helps.

I'm leaning towards rust maybe, from what I'm told this rear was sitting in a barn/building since 72 and hasn't been touched since. Unfortunately im about to head off to work, but I'll pick up a utility knife or a thin blade/scraper and see if I cant break it loose. the whole rear is out of the car and sitting on the back (my desk) so I'm not sure how I would go about using a jack... :/

Put the housing in a vice, take one of the nuts and put it on a few turns, put a drain pan directly under the housing and case split area.... Now get a pipe wrench and put it over the end yoke and pull up on the wrench or push depending how you put it over the end yoke.....

put the u joint straps on and slip a 3/4 piece of pipe or a breaker bar thru them and pry it off the housing

GOT IT! Bought a sturdy, yet very thin metal spreader/scraper for the paint aisle of my work (Lowe's) and with that and a hammer I was able to get in between and "break the seal". Thanks for all of the advice!

-
Back