Any tricks to remove carpet underlay?

-

W-Edge

raceheads.ca
Reaction score
Doing work in the interior and now the carpet is out , there is this thick insulation stuff stuck to the carpet(when I say stuck I mean I wish I had that success when gluing fabrics)...Its really on there , so anyone done this before , tricks , blades , hot water , brake cleaner???SAWZALL?

Doing work in the interior and now the carpet is out , there is this thick insulation stuff stuck to the carpet(when I say stuck I mean I wish I had that success when gluing fabrics)...Its really on there , so anyone done this before , tricks , blades , hot water , brake cleaner???SAWZALL?

heck 15+ year old carpet with contact cement to glue the jute down is a monster to get off the older it is the harder it is to get off. If the jute is still good why do you want to remove it since it's factory sound proofing?
But...
At my work where I do just that thing in reverse (I help make custom 60's lincoln interiors). I use Lacquer thinner soaked into the Jute backing and it will goo up the contact cement and re-activate it a bit so you can remove it from the carpet. We use (plastic backed) poly carpet and it will come off. latex backed is harder and you have to be MUCH more careful.

I gotta ask is the carpet poly backed or does it look like a greyish sprayed on material?
If it's poly(plastic backed) you'll be okay just dousing the affected area of the carpet with laquer thinner and can't hardly hurt it. Latex (grey ish sprayed on the back of some older carpets) is another kettle of fish and if you try to remove it(jute backing) all the way you will end up pulling the loop or some of the cut pile back through to the underside ruining the carpet. so latex backed is a" scissors and a razor blade and scrape most of it off" kinda carpet.

What about goo gone by the makers of goof off. Don't use goof off. Don't get me wrong I have used it on house carpet with success to remove latex paint when somebody vandalized our old church when my pastor was trying to rent it oit but I wouldn't trust it on anything like what you are trying. Now goo gone on the other hand I have used on carpet tile to remove stain and it so so wonderfully. It may help getting the glue off for you without harming the carpet. I'd try it in a small area. Hell anytime you are working with carpet or fabric of any kind it's best to test a small inconspicuous are first so you don't ruin the whole thing if your unsure about a project. I'm a flooring installer by trade and mechanic mostly as a hobby any more. The whole restoring thing is still new to me. I'm used to newer vehicle and it's usually just replacing parts with new or doing body work and prepping cars for the paint booth

Haven t tried the goo gone yet , but tha lacker thinner helps a lot and doent seem to ruin carpet nor color , just stinks up the garage , will get back at it when warmer (open garage door)! Thank you guys for the advice.

Never tried to do that before so this is just a guess . Maybe a heat gun will soften the adhesive enough to pull it loose. They can get pretty hot so be careful.
Yote

-
Back