any upholstery guys on the board?

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
I am wanting to know were to buy uphosltrey material,and the local shops around here of course will not tell me anything.I am considering making my own door panels,cover my seats,and dash pad,and making a headliner for my 71 dart swinger.I dont want stock looking materials,or original looking doorpanels,etc,and i have aftermarket bucket seats that i want to cover in leather and have the rear seat done to match.If i could find some one to do what i want done,i wouldnt mind paying for the job along,but the shops here are mostly old folks,that only want to do original type work,and really dont get into leather upholstery or vinyl that looks like leather.Also,do i have to use an industrial sewing machine to sew the fabric for the seats,and dash pad,or will a home type unit work?

Try calling a fabric / sewing store in your area. Ask them if they have any automotive grade material. If they don't have anything, ask them where to find some. They'll know who sells that in your town.

Good luck....big project......

You will need a walking foot machine which is what the uph guys use they can handle heavy thread and keep the stitch good and tight. They are capable of sewing thick material with foam and backing all at one. I have tried lighter machines and it was do-able but really more of a fight than with a machine designed for what you need. My Dad did upholstery for a living and one time he was talking to me while sewing up some seat covers and ran three of his fingers thru the machine oouchhh! If you get a walking foot machine be very careful they can sew through light wood without stopping, as my Dad found out. There are many tricks to this type of work and not knowing them can cost more in messed up material than taking it to a shop.
Bruce

This guy may help you, I meet him at a car show last year...he's got a good lookin' AMX....name's not on his card but it's Summit Station Auto Uph., 570-829-4865...

i designed my interior and picked out the material and he did the rest...good ole boy too

I am wanting to know were to buy uphosltrey material,and the local shops around here of course will not tell me anything.I am considering making my own door panels,cover my seats,and dash pad,and making a headliner for my 71 dart swinger.I dont want stock looking materials,or original looking doorpanels,etc,and i have aftermarket bucket seats that i want to cover in leather and have the rear seat done to match.If i could find some one to do what i want done,i wouldnt mind paying for the job along,but the shops here are mostly old folks,that only want to do original type work,and really dont get into leather upholstery or vinyl that looks like leather.Also,do i have to use an industrial sewing machine to sew the fabric for the seats,and dash pad,or will a home type unit work?

P1010004-2.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Look in the phone book for upholstery or upholstery supply or similar. You will find various places in there. Then just call them and see if they will sell to the public or they are wholesale only. Most don't care and will sell to anyone you just may not get a discounted rate. Also, be sure that you are getting and they carry automotive stuff (body cloth). Also be sure to get good thread that can handle the UV rays etc. or your upholstery work will come apart in short order (well at least in the baking sun here it does).
Machine wise, if you are looking into leathers and heavy vinyls I'm doubtful that a home machine is going to keep up very well. Especially if you are doing welting and sewing through multiple thicknesses (3 to 4 or more). Depends on the machine I guess.
You can also find supplies online if worse comes to worse.
Best of luck with it!
Cheers

Type in Gary's Upholstery in Florida............huge selection and color spread.....automotive and marine grade products...anything you can imagine.......great prices and fast shipping too.

:cheers:

If you have a JoAnn fabric store near you you'll find automotive grade vinyl's there. Look for the "Whisper" line. It is faux leather and is the same stuff the trim shops use. I redid my rear seat awhile back to better match the pattern and look of my aftermarket front buckets. Did it on my wife's machine. Looks every bit as pro as a pro would have done, with french seams and everything. If you plan on having welt (piping), then you need the appropriate foot but you can get away with not having a walking foot for a small project.

There are a couple books out there on auto upholstery which would be worth your investment.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/s...&keywords=whisper+vinyl&_requestid=825210

its all your fault im having to do all this,lol.I saw the pics of your seats,and i want something similar to what you have.I got my front seats for christmas a couple years ago,and want to cover them in a leather type material,with everything else to match

THANKS,got a lot of neat mopars done (3) and on the drawing board...67rt match#,68 charg match #,69 coronet 500 conv to a rt resto

The guy who did leather interiors for our executive jets wouldn't do a car with leather even if "price were no object". He said the heavy wear, direct sunlight, and temperature extremes are death to really smooth supple leather. If you do decide to go for real cow, use Connolly Hide Food to maintain it. It will keep leather supple and prevent cracking. Best stuff we've found for the job.

-
Back