Any Volkswagen tech’s here

-
I'd say let the dealer fix it since it is still under warranty.
maybe there's a TSB out that the dealer doesn't know about yet? or maybe there's a known issue with oil consumption due to specific maintenance details (incorrect oil weight, type or level) or maybe he wants to know what a job like that might entail so that he knows what to expect: how long he may be without the car, the wait on repair or parts, possible costs or pitfalls to avoid while dealing with the service department.

it doesn't hurt to go in armed with knowledge, even if it is under warranty.

maybe there's a TSB out that the dealer doesn't know about yet? or maybe there's a known issue with oil consumption due to specific maintenance details (incorrect oil weight, type or level) or maybe he wants to know what a job like that might entail so that he knows what to expect: how long he may be without the car, the wait on repair or parts, possible costs or pitfalls to avoid while dealing with the service department.

it doesn't hurt to go in armed with knowledge, even if it is under warranty.
This is true. Dealers have been known to "not know " what the problem is until all of a sudden they find it and unfortunately the warranty has expired.

earlier models had trouble with the ring packs getting stuck due to oil residue. I thought 2019 this should have been solved....but of course i´d ask the dealer regarding warranty. They´ll tell you there´s a limit value what´s considered "normal" oil consumption....

Michael

VW is dragging their ***. They say it doesn’t smoke or leak any oil. I threw them a curve ball. Kim
Whatever You do, be sure You have an invoice/documentation where the concern is clearly stated, & what actions were taken. Bulldozing a pile of **** past the warranty while not giving the customer proper dox to take legal action later is an old scheme. VW.......oh boy....

There are three ways an engine can lose oil. It can leak, it can burn and it can pass oil through the crankcase as a mist. That's it. Over and done. It's one of the three.

There are three ways an engine can lose oil. It can leak, it can burn and it can pass oil through the crankcase as a mist. That's it. Over and done. It's one of the three.

amazing how similar that is to me after eating at taco bell

I drive the same vehicle Kim. So far mine is fine. Let me know how you make out.

Sometimes the OEM tolerance for excessive oil consumption is ridiculous (high). At least they are addressing it.

so what was their solution to this part of it? send you home with two quarts of oil and tell you to keep it topped up?
i dont know bout ole jimmer, but i would have driven out of there in a free loaner

Wonder by chance If the oil is getting sucked by the Turbo seal? They get fed a lot of oil because they spin so fast and get hot.

Quick check of that would be to pull the air intake tube at the intake manifold and see if there is an oil film inside the tube.

That intake tube should be dry inside when things are working properly.

I've heard of some dealers saying OEM wouldn't do anything unless consumption is over 1 litre per 1000 km which is about a quart every 600 miles. Yikes

Sometimes the OEM tolerance for excessive oil consumption is ridiculous (high). At least they are addressing it.
When I worked for the local Chevy dealer years ago, There WAS a warranty spec for oil consumption. I don't remember what it was, but it was stupid high. Those crooked *** warranty auditors though would move the goal posts to accommodate not having to pay the warranty claim. It was straight up shyster work.

There oil changes are 8000 kilometres roughly 5000 miles. It used 30 litres oil in 8000. They said there’s no way it can be using that much oil. They have had it this time since November 12th. They have had it at their shop for more than half the time she has owned it.

My oil changes are every 15,000 km, with the first 3 years covered by VW. So far I have not used any between changes.

-
Back