Anybody Duracoat Their Guns ?

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
As some may know my friend and I started a firearms business in January. Yesterday I attended " Duracoat University" at Lauer Custom Weaponry in Chippewa Falls, WI and officially became a "certified finisher".

Duracoat is an epoxy coating for firearms and many other applications ( not to be confused even close with powder coating which is the domain of the Mistress Of Metal...totally different ! ).

D & R Firearms will be listed on their web-site in the near future and there are a couple of really stoked guys in Champaign/Urbana, IL.

I got to coat the last of our Glock 17"s in Desert Beige and like an idiot gave it to my biz partner to take to the PD tomorrow before I got pics.

Not too many folks have accused me of good sense.

Check them out http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Stoked X 10 :blob:

I don't but what is the advantage of it besides being able to change color? Does it prevent holster wear.

I don't but what is the advantage of it besides being able to change color? Does it prevent holster wear.

The whole process is a rust preventative sealant two part coating applied in layers that though very hard to the touch actually stays a bit elastic. I guess if you holstered and unholstered 50 times a day for a few years it would show. When I coated the Glock I applied a couple extra layers on the muzzle end of the slide.

I have heard good things about it but I have no personal experience with it as of yet.

Good to hear that business booming (pardon the pun).

I have heard good things about it but I have no personal experience with it as of yet.

Good to hear that business booming (pardon the pun).

THX Joe ! Did the G17 in Desert Beige

Attachments

• jsw_img_2701.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 349
  • jsw_img_2702.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 353
  • jsw_img_2703.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 317
How thick is it after application? Could it be used on bolts etc without building up too much on the threads?

How thick is it after application? Could it be used on bolts etc without building up too much on the threads?

Thickness should be about 2-3 mils depending on how many layers are sprayed. The owner and developer said Duracoat is being used on about anything you can imagine, even door hinges. As for the bolt thread....I can't see build-up in the V of the rear sight dovetail. I'm waiting for the full seven day cure time before I "vise" in new fiber optic sights.

Bargeahead is out in the desert and drops his weapon in the dirt......" Damn it....I can't see where I dropped it!.......bloody cam coating. ".......Nice job dude.

Bargeahead is out in the desert and drops his weapon in the dirt......" Damn it....I can't see where I dropped it!.......bloody cam coating. ".......Nice job dude.

Thank you. I can't wait to have a spray shop set up and get into the camo patters. Went today and bought 6 junk/seized long guns to practice on.

I had a duracoated FAL for a while, it was one heck of a nice finish on all of the surfaces. I wouldn't go with it on any bolt or carrier surfaces, but that is just my opinion.
fal.jpg

I had a duracoated FAL for a while, it was one heck of a nice finish on all of the surfaces. I wouldn't go with it on any bolt or carrier surfaces, but that is just my opinion.
fal.jpg
I used to use one simialr to that in the Aust. Army....back in the day....it was a 7.62 x 51 Nato.....they were called an SLR L1A1 here.....nicknamed a Slur.......kicked like hell with the gas plug set to Zero.

That rifle looks BAD A$$. I would have agreed with the bolt/carrier surface but Steve Lauer was talking about using Duracoat ( presume the self lubricating option ) to tighten up tolerance. Spray the bolt or ? until you need a mallet to drive home, extract, pound in again, extract, coat with lapping compound, them home/extract repeat repeat etc until you can tap with fingernail and it slides home with no play. I think I'll stick with exterior surfaces except for what was done to the inside of the Glock slide/frame and the like.

I use 90w gear oil on the bolt in my 1918 Lee Enfield .303 MkIII No.1....makes it quiet and slide so nice.....same on my Win 30-30 too.

FN FAL is one of my favorite guns, along side the ACR and Scar-H! I would love to have one of the three done in Red or an urban camo.

Heh,I've got an Enfield too! One of the best Damn guns ever. Mine is a 1944 mark iv with a 5 groove sniper barrel and I added a synthetic stock,modern sling,and a leupold gold ring scope. My eyesight makes a scope necessary,and the cheap $100 scopes kept breaking. I must have spent an equal amount of $$ on the cheap junk before I smartened up and bought the Leupold. So far the leupold has not needed zeroing after the first sighting in. I've dropped it,fell on it and whacked it against tree's. That scope is tough!

I dont know why you use gear oil on the bolt though. I can chamber better than 1 round per second with just gun oil,but I also slicked it up with some fine sand paper,1500 grit I think.That gun has the fastest bolt action I've ever seen.

I'm going to wait for full cure and shoot the G17 with no oil. Glocks don't like excess oil any way so we'll see what how the wear pattern or lack thereof shows. The four frame slide rails were the only things masked off for coating.

So Im wondering if this can be done at home? And is black available?

Roger, my powder supplier is the manufacturer of Cerakote ceramic weapons finishes. :-D I've never gotten into it -- no FFL, and not enough gun knowledge LMAO! -- but always wanted to. They have some really cool colors available and, from what I can tell, it appears to be top of the line stuff. I'm not sure if this page will load but I hope so.

http://nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php?phpMyAdmin=v085d1Xlej-S9bKII5j2WIDX6m5

Check out the "Virtual Gun Coater" tab on the left -- wow! You can change colors faster than Dirty Harry can pull that big bad .44

Congratulations on opening another avenue to happy customers! I'm very proud of you and your partner -- looks like you guys are kickin butt already. :-D Nowhere to go but UP!

Never hered of it. But then all I got for guns is a shot gun and a mini14. Lot of wood on them guns.

-
Back