anybody ever made a tonnuea cover?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Kind of a wacky idea. Has anybody ever made or seen a tonnuea cover for a Dart convertible? To cover the back seat area. Something along these lines.
2093969367_21b9fcbb60_z.jpg

Like a solid metal cover? I don't think anyone has done it. Would it be automated or just lift on and go in the trunk somehow?

The previous owner of my 1969 convertible C-body had a vinyl tonneau cover made by an upholstery shop. It is nice to have one.

Thinking metal, as I would want the scoops (ala T-bird)for my drivers side headrest(no passenger headrest). Would render the top inoperative when installed which could suck in rain. Have thought that it could be tied down with the rear seatbelts and possibly add straps at the front seat belt mounting points. Maybe I will have to buy some metal conduit and play around and see what I can come up with.
Would love to replicate the Daroo, but I lack the right combination of skills and money, and I don't have the guts to cut up my convertible.

The T-Bird cover is fiberglass.

If your up to it you could make one the same way custom speaker enclosures are made.

As seen on TV on shows like Trucks, Muscle Car and others.

Made with material like a Snuggee stretched over blocks that give it the contours then coated with resin. Once hard the body work begins with filler and lots of sanding then paint.

Or you could make a vinyl soft cover.

BTW a hard cover would not be flat like the T-Bird because it would have to cover the factory top and that protrudes above the fender line.

The T-Bird was designed with this in mind, as the top folded into the trunk and a flip up panel on the trunk lid covered the area just in front of the trunk lid covered the void to the rear seat back. The trunk lid is hinged at the rear and the front goes up to allow the top to fold in.

Check this out [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQGgCnxQj0g"]1963 Ford Thunderbird Sport Roadster Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Tour - YouTube[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmdZzvIYTg"]1966 Ford Thunderbird Roadster Convertible CLASSIC - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back