Anybody ever try truck shorty headers in an Abody?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Anybody?

Looks like it might work by eyeballing. $150 for the Summits is almost cheap enough for me to give it a shot.

Steve

Dont work trust me. And they wont take them back in smashed condition.:angry7:

It will only cost about $135 for Hedman long tube headers for an A-body and they will work much better and fit with a minimum of hassles.

You will have to disconnect the center link on the steering from the pitman arm and inner tie rod end because once installed the steering passes between the tubes. You will also need the car up very high on jack stands to maunver the header in from below on the drivers side. And you will need to unbolt the motor mount on the drivers side so you can jack the motor up and have it rotate to the passenger side to make room to manuver the header in. Or as I did just pull the steering column completely out (6 bolts inside and a roll pin on the stering box) and you have all the room in the world.

The passenger side goes in from above with no clearance issues (do not recall if I removed the oil filter or not).

Thanks for the information!

Do they neck down at the head like the TTIs do?

IMG_0333.jpg

I guess they do that for bolt clearance, but it gets down to like 1" inside diameter.

There are always gibson and eddie shorty's on ebay from truck for cheap!! 318/360 and I wondered the same thing...

I've personally used the Magnum manifolds the have the same exit location as the truck shorty headers and haven't had any contact issues with the steering shaft.
As far as the shorties working they wont. I have a passenger side shorty on my driverside so that i can clear the steering gear, but when i tried to put the other on my passenger side one of the primaries contacts the wheel well right where the A arm mounts.

P1010191-1.jpg

P1010192.jpg

Clearing the gear box
P1010198.jpg

But remember this one is also mounted facing forward. (turbo setup)

-
Back