Anybody from San Jose remember Happy Days Burger joint ??

-

sic71dart

Reaction score
On right off of where Union and Bascom meet up? Anybody used to go there and or know of anyother regular car shows at other burger places around the area?

I used to go there for years. It was every Thursday night. I had moved out of the area before it burnt down several years ago but used to have a blast there. Dennis and his wife used to own it and then sold it to an Asian family who really didn't have a clue about anything Americana and why these old cars kept showing up there every Thursday. I remember the numbers dwindling because of this but fortunately, Dennis & his wife bought the place back after a year or two. Things seemed to be going well until the fire. It never recovered after that. I believe Dennis owns a Fosters Freeze in Hayward or Fremont and still have cruise-ins there. Other than that, I am not sure what is taking place in the Soth Bay. Most of the weekly cruise-ins have ended for the season further up on the Peninsula.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to stereotype people but I have noticed a lot of "all American" burger joints are now run by Asian families.

It is not really stereotyping, it's more plain ol' observation and truth. I have noticed over the years that our A&W drive-in restaurants (what is left of them) are mostly Asian-owned. If only I could get an original A&W Papa Burger with a rootbeer float (with real ice cream) ... yum!

By the way.. I was driving by the other day and noticed some classic cars and trucks out there, old Fords and Chevy's it looked like. Its now a Greek restaurant but the cars seem to be coming back. Anybody want to head down there on a Thursday night?

How about stopping by next Thursday and seeing if it is an every Thursday night kind of thing or if that was a one time deal. They used to have a DJ outside spinning oldies. Wow, that is going to be different parking around a Greek place instead of the old burger joint. If it is a every Thursday night, I can try and plan to come down for one.

I used to go out there with my old Charger every now and then. it would be great to have a local spot again.

Well I do think it was more than just one Thursday. I bought some crickets from the little pet store right behind there a week or two before that and saw maybe 3 or 4 classic cars out front and thought... hmm maybe some guys are just stopping in there for old times sake or what not\ and didnt think much of it. This last Thursday however, I saw them again only with a few more guys so I am thinking maybe people are trying to get things going again. I think if anybody here wants to help build on some of that momentum its a good thing.

Are you guys thinking about this Thursday. I could make after 7PM. Open house for my son this Thursday or we can try to get together on a different day.
Hkeller

Yeah I can make it easily.. for a little bit but I wont be able to bring my Dart. I can stop by and say hi though.

The is a get together in the Mervyn's parking lot at the corner of El Camino and Scott in Santa Clara every Wednesday. I have been a couple of times and there were about 40 cars each time.

How about planning one for one week and the other for the following week while the weather is still nice and hot?

Perhaps Mervyns this week and that way maybe someone could confirm what's happening at the old Happy Dayz Diner for the following Thursday.

Yeah that works for me, again I can't bring my car in the near future but I can stop by and say hi.

Yeah I am down, btw tonight was quite busy there, mostly old hotrods and a few chevy's but still more cars than the past few times.

hi guys there is an old friend of mine that lives out that way he has a very nice 70 dart the front plate has a fram that says in remembrance of Reed. in the event you see it have him e-mail me @ [email protected] .the guy with the Orange Dart his Name is Bruce Hemp.

thanks in advance
Don

Ok, I am coming down. Hopefully, in rush hour, it won't take me too much longer than an hour. What time do things get going there? In the day, people use to start showing up at 3:30pm.

-
Back