Anybody here mess with Mopeds?

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was headed home last Sunday after church with my wife and kids and came across a moped that someone threw out on the curb with some other trash. I went home, hopped in my truck and went back to get it. I don't know much about mopeds but I know enough to make one run!

Me and a friend patched some hacked up wiring, cleaned and set the points, cleaned the carb, flushed the tank and had the old thing running! I got some new tires and tubes from Wal-Mart and within 3-4 hours of work I was cruising the neighborhood.

Turns out it's a pretty worthless 1987 "Kamasura 50". They were never technically sold new in the U.S. It was a Chinese scam that offered a free 500cc motorcycle and all you had to do was pay $400 for shipping. What showed up was a 50cc moped...

I love this thing! It does about 30MPH. I plan to fix the broken lights and such and hopefully get it tagged/titled. A quick power wash and a light polish made it look nearly new.

Does anybody else here own any Mopeds?

20191117_121628.jpg
IMG_6043.jpg

In my youth I was know as the Moped Maniac.
Here is my present scoot,a moped on steroids.

6362FAE9-B39E-4E43-8A99-29454DB0B58E.jpeg

5124955F-FA5F-486B-AC1B-04A6A5961BFE.jpeg

don't currently own any but I will admit to keeping an eye out for them on craigslist

growing up in the Netherlands, a moped was anything 50CC or less
here in MI, for a 50cc to be considered a moped it can not have "changeable gears"

so, growing up I had a puch maxi

or, when I had money dirt bike style mopeds
and off course, they had big bore kits on them, different exhaust and carbs and gears, whatever to make them run

(you might even say I learned how to wrench on them)

and since we got started on this topic, here are a few generic pics of moped models ive owned

Puch-Maxi-Decal-Nostalga__50012.1486739843.jpg

88146f86-98be-49c2-ac84-bfa3b2bddec7.jpg

275042653_1.jpg

6a6329d28d797d01b93881b49db1a550.jpg

in fact, that last one, I almost killed myself on
managed to get hit by a VW eurovan and broke my skull in 3 places, snapped my femur in half

fun times

of course, around here everytime I see a guy on a moped I think "there's another drunk who lost his drivers license"

Got this for free this summer from local classifieds.1965 Suzuki 90cc.Poured gas in it and fired right up.Drove it around for 1/2 hour,put it the shed and havnt seen it since

IMG_2380.JPG

I have an unheardium (little bigger than a moped) stuffed out in my cargo container. It's an AMF years Harley Davidson Baja 100. Never seen another one like it nor is it listed in the picture books for Harley's. It's super tall and a two stroke. Been in storage since the early 80's. Has electrical for licensing and street use and an outer and inner rear sprocket with a dual master link to split the chain to further change gearing.

back in the day i had a harley 125 street/trail...i loved that thing...............................jeff

Years ago a buddy and me would cruise all over town on our Puchs. we had cars but the peds were fun to get around on, hit the beach etc.

I have an unheardium (little bigger than a moped) stuffed out in my cargo container. It's an AMF years Harley Davidson Baja 100. Never seen another one like it nor is it listed in the picture books for Harley's. It's super tall and a two stroke. Been in storage since the early 80's. Has electrical for licensing and street use and an outer and inner rear sprocket with a dual master link to split the chain to further change gearing.
Like this?

E76D7FB5-061E-44F0-903E-050F23F9EFD7.jpeg

989A0B83-B33D-497A-B991-1B176EACAA75.jpeg

Exactly like the second one pictured. First picture I've ever seen. Thanks. One day I'll figure out what to do with it.

Exactly like the second one pictured. First picture I've ever seen. Thanks. One day I'll figure out what to do with it.
The second one is a 1973 model. They are worth a fair amount with nice ones selling for $3-5k.

The Harley-Davidson Baja 100 was a small displacement off-road motorcycle made for Harley-Davidson in Italy by Aermacchi, which was 50% owned by Harley-Davidson at the time. That’s likely why you don’t find it in the Harley Davidson picture books.

-
Back