anybody know how to rebuild a power steering gearbox

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
i am pretty much self taught at most things, and i was looking thru rockauto and noticed they sell a gates brand power steering box rebuild kit. its $40 and comes with seals, bearings , shims o rings etc. i am using the PST fast ratio arms, and will be dropping pump pressure in the saginaw pump from its stock 1400 PSI to around 850 PSI so i will have the fast ratio, and road feel i need. is it fairly easy to rebuild one of these. i have a factory chrysler service manual from 1975 i believe it details the process of rebuilding one.

so any takers on this thread, have any of y'all rebuilt your own power steering boxes? any gee whiz special tools needed or can i improvise what i need. would a kit like this tighten up a worn box as long as the gears inside it are good?

LMK
matt

There is a special spanner wrench for the lock but, but I always use a hammer and screwdriver. lol Yeah I know but it works. First thing you should do is buy a factory service manual for your car. That explains in depth how to do it. You can learn more in that one book than anyone on here could possibly tell you.

Back in the 70s I worked at Chrysler and the day I hired in they put me in the department that tested the completed gear.

There isn't too much to a gear, but set up is very important to get it right.

To get the right feel need the center torque right and centering the valve body to have equal pressure on both sides. Been a long time but we used a special torque bar and set on center at 50 lbs after centering the valve body. Or at least I think that is what it was.

Good luck, read a lot and go for it.

I am going to send mine to Lares and be done with it because I have seen too many threads with issues after members have worked on theirs.

For more than 25 years Lares Corporation has been supplying the highest quality re-manufactured power steering gears, manual steering gears, control valves, cylinders, & pumps.
We re-manufacture more antique and classic steering parts than anyone else in the country. We also supply many of the largest fleets and auto stores in the country and have sold over 200,000 units.
All of our products carry a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

http://www.larescorp.com/

i have a set of factory mopar 1975 service manuals that belonged to my late grandfather. my aunt gave them to me knowing i'm a mopar nut. i believe there was a section on taking this apart and rebuilding it. just wondering how hard it was. i have self taught myself to rebuild automatic transmissions, and 4 speed manuals, and 5 speed transaxles so i thought it couldent be too hard. just never attempted it. just wondered if the kit having the bearings in it was enough to tighten up a worn out one and refresh it a bit.

i know firm feel sells super ones for big bucks, but since im lowering the pump pressure for a better road feel , and using the longer C body arms to increase the ratio im thinking a basic rebuild/freshen up would be just fine.

It's not hard at all. Just follow the destruckshuns.

hey okla car collector, i may go that route myself they have the power box on ebay remanned for $135 thats pretty cheap for a rebuilt box.

hey okla car collector, i may go that route myself they have the power box on ebay remanned for $135 thats pretty cheap for a rebuilt box.

That is how I feel. I know people that have done business with them for years with good results. I like saving money but there is some places I would rather have a professional do the work especially when there is a lifetime warranty and it is a company that has been around for a long time.

One friend of mine sent them some extra cores that he was tired of tripping over and his box ended up costing him nothing.

mebbe i can send them mine as a core see and if i can get a few bucks off a rebuilt one. i looked into my 1975 mopar FSM (factory service manual) doesnt look like anything i want to get into. even if the kit is only $40. The time and effort spent to rebuild it isnt worth the time id have to invest in my shop to fix mine. mebbe its better to swap it for a rebuilt one, spray a nice coat of paint on it, and go.

thanks for the info oklacarcollecto. this site is added to my favs on my computer now.

-
Back