anybody near Hackensack,MN?

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
I am looking for a resort that used to be owned by Fred and Macie Zwiefel in the late 50's to sometime in the 60's. We used to stay there almost ever summer when we were kids. Wife asked where to spend vacation this year and I thought this would be a nice place but can't find any info. Have a call into the Chamber of Commerce to dig around. Anybody know or any ideas where to check? Thanks! Bob

I am looking for a resort that used to be owned by Fred and Macie Zwiefel in the late 50's to sometime in the 60's. We used to stay there almost ever summer when we were kids. Wife asked where to spend vacation this year and I thought this would be a nice place but can't find any info. Have a call into the Chamber of Commerce to dig around. Anybody know or any ideas where to check? Thanks! Bob
Don't know anyone there personally, but a couple thoughts come to mind...

You may be able to find something by calling Cass County, as Real Estate records are Public Information. Maybe you'll get someone on a slow day....

Second thought: The Minnesota Historical Society may be able to help. My wife has used them in the past for some things, and they were really helpful, I guess.

Minnesota Historical Society homepage | Minnesota Historical Society

Good luck!

Jim

If you have an address maybe you could do a google earth search and see what is there now. Maybe you could even luck out with a curb view and see a name or sign on something. Good luck...I tried to do this with the Beachcomber resort in Sanibel Island Florida. Same scenario but it was gone...Hope you have better luck

If you have an address maybe you could do a google earth search and see what is there now. Maybe you could even luck out with a curb view and see a name or sign on something. Good luck...I tried to do this with the Beachcomber resort in Sanibel Island Florida. Same scenario but it was gone...Hope you have better luck
oh my gosh! I'd have to turn my whole junk room upside down and inside out to see if I even saved a letter...but a good idea for after the Christmas. Thanks!

Don't know anyone there personally, but a couple thoughts come to mind...

You may be able to find something by calling Cass County, as Real Estate records are Public Information. Maybe you'll get someone on a slow day....

Second thought: The Minnesota Historical Society may be able to help. My wife has used them in the past for some things, and they were really helpful, I guess.

Minnesota Historical Society homepage | Minnesota Historical Society

Good luck!

Jim
I do have a call in with Hackensack BBB. The lady I talked with remembers the owners wife because she worked at a bank where they had an account. Waiting for a possible call back if she runs across any info.

oh my gosh! I'd have to turn my whole junk room upside down and inside out to see if I even saved a letter...but a good idea for after the Christmas. Thanks!
Was it on Birch Lake? Hackensac is tiny population 313. Google Earth footage of that area is pretty good. It looks like a sweet out of the way small community. That would be a nice vacation spot. Sounds like you have a good lead...Merry Christmas

It was on Ten Mile Lake and this is what I remember the cabin we had looked like:

I talked with the 3rd or 4th generation owner but he did not know the history or Macie and Fred's resort. I'm guessing that a previous generation bought it and he's never known it was started by someone else. Thanks to you all! Merry Christmas.

Got a call from Bonnie at the BBB this afternoon. Guess I really rattled some noodles with this question! It wasn't so much a resort as a few cabins they had. It was off County Road 50 she said. Past that, nothing new...EXCEPT, I was going thru my Dad's business address book and found a Zwiefel Hardware in Chicago he had contact with. Maybe this is how they meet the Minnesota Zwiefel's. May have to pursue that just for my curiousitys sake.

LOL! Looking at a map just now ("Where is C.R. 50?"), and stumbled across "Twin Springs Resort" in Hackensack. Clicked on the photo gallery, and this one should almost be labeled "Minnesota Gothic", as it all but screams "northern Minnesota"!

19875444_10158888233085517_7229840950616142796_n.jpg

Note I'm not picking on these fine people in any way, shape, or form, as they remind me of my own parents, but the plaid, short sleeve shirt, the phone in the pocket, the large sunglasses, the haircuts, the pontoon and paddle boats, the American flag on the dock, even the smiles....

If you've never been to northern Minnesota, this is it in a nutshell!

Last edited:
-
Back