Anybody not using undercoating?

-
I have stripped the undercarriage, prime and overspray like the factory and do like them done to
factory specs..but it is a lot of work. It is just so much easier spraying everything one color and be
done with it. And that seems to be the trend and what a lot of guys like.

Hey, so im interested if anybodys painting their underbody with por15 or something similair, maybe even body color. If so are you happy with it?
Id prefer not to stack rubber/tar on my car again...
I have brushed on 2 underbodies/wheelwells with KBS, which is very close to Por15. Looks sort of like powder coating when dry, and still looks just as good after 5 years now. None has flaked off. We tried to remove all undercoating, paint, and grease, but some old paint remained in cracks. KBS recommends using the cheap, coarse brushes because the paint flows to make a smooth surface, so that's what we did. Brushes were throw-aways, I wouldn't want to clean a brush used to paint KBS. Only problem was bristles falling out, which we picked off the paint with tweezers. We tried to pull the lose bristles out before using the brushes, but some still came out when painting. KBS paint sticks really good to skin, so cover body parts, and don't get your head close to where you are painting. Use drop cloth, because once it dries on concrete it won't come offer. BTW, I have been told the spray can KBS does not come out as nice as the brush on. Plus, I wouldn't want to use the spray can KBS overhead, or where it might get onto surfaces where I didn't want it.

The metal needs to be squeaky clean before using undercoat. If its not, the undercoat can sag and moisture developes. I'm like many of you and worked for days removing undercoating. Never use undercoat on a resortation unless you're looking for points.

-
Back