Anybody notice this when driving your Mopar?

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
I'm sure all of you have noticed this too. I've had people fly from behind up to the back of my car, showing off I guess. Lots of tailgaters, maybe getting a closer look? Lots of people speed on by or gun their engines. Then there are the gawkers. Stoplights are interesting though. They usually wait for me to go first.lol. The car is cammed and sounds mean.

Sometimes I don't like the extra attention, I just love driving an old classic.

The nice comments, and the smile on people's faces makes up for it though.

Gotta love classic Mopars!

I get that a lot too. Thats half of the reason i LOVE driving my car. I get looks no matter where I'm at. Gas stations stop lights people walking down the streets, you name it i love it. Does anyone get notes on there cars from people wanting to buy them?? Those are the best, I know my car isn't worth all that much but it sure is nice to have people offer you large chunks of cash...

Actually, your car looks great! I think we bring back memories for lots of people. The members here all rock for saving these cars from the crusher. These cars deserve better. Okay, on the cash offers, gotta love it.

What I think....(being honest)

I find "all ages" have a look then a double take, and give the thumbs up. Mostly the younger guys yell, light'em up. Honestly, the attention thing! I think it's kinda neat when driving by and people notice. I feel at least most of us, have put a lot of money, time, effort and; our hearts into our a-bodies....It's a good feeling inside when people apprciate what they see.

Like "give me a brake" my wife's too old now too show off :-D

Perhaps the "over attention" is like you said, someone pulls up beside you and they "keep" looking over.....kinda makes ya not want to look around, like your trying to be cool or something!!

My only down fall......I can feel them saying....an "old farts" driving that thing....(must be his kids)

Any more honest dudes out there??

DSCF0003.JPG

That is one reason I love to drive my car,72 dart. I get alot of guys that want to race. Unfortunatly its not as fast as it looks. Lots of people tell me " I had one just like that ". I never want to say that. I used to own a dodge stratus, no one ever pulled up and said "nice stratus". Plus I like the fact that I dont have any car payments.

Having my own car that i paid for at age 15 was the greatest. Not having a car payment growing up is even better. All that money just goes to parts!!!:toothy10:

Try having a meeting at your house then un invited people come in your garage and ask..."hey which one is for sale?" Ummm was there a fore sale sign on cars?? and ahhh the beer is not for you my friend....then you clog up the street when everyone is slamming their brakes to look at the cars in your drive way....well no more meetings at my house..

Here's my take on it.
I enjoyed building my car.
I really enjoy driving it.
That's enough for me.

Here's the gravy.
Taking the wife for a cruise and scaring the crap out of her. LOL
The wife telling me how good a job I did.
I get people pulling up beside me and giving the thumbs-up.
Lots of horn honkers.
Lots of light er up's.
Everytime I gas up, there is a crowd with lots of questions.
At cruise nights there are always lots of camera's pointed at the car.
The couple of times I have done a smokey burnout, the deer in the headlights look on thier faces is priceless.

The downside.
The cops that just can't wait to catch you doing something.
The ricers with the fartcan exhaust's that want to race and have no idea what they would be in for.
The 5.0 Rustang guy's with the big mouths until I start it up.

Oh wait I guess those are gravy to. LOL

I look at it this way. If what Ma Mopar and I created brings a smile to someone else's face, that's really cool.

Jack

I get a lot of thumbs up and lookers, i don't even notice them 1/2 the time, my wife is much more in tune to the attention. I get the same positive thumbs up by the cops, they certainly aren't out to bag me. I have never had anyone want to race.

A buddy of mine has a blown 392 hemi street rod (32 ford 2dr sedan)that has no fenders. He was on his way back from the street rod show in Hersey PA when some one on the hiway had to get a closer look and touched the rear tire. It pulled their car right up over the tire an into the body. Tore up the corner of the body and ruined the 33" Mickey Thompson.

I hate the kids with the ricers! They think they really have
something. They don't. Always wanting to race. Weaving in and
out of traffic to get close. Then acting like jerks.

Oh yeah, the police & ricers!

I was out of town and pulling into a Macdonald's when an O.P.P. followed me in. They are equivalent to your State troopers in the U.S.

I thought "oh ****", and immediately took out my ownership. He didn't even look at it...So I got out popped the hood, and talked Mopar with him. He was cool. In town I mind my business for the most part cuz I know my car is easy to spot.

The fart can guys don't bother me since my car shakes (because of the cam)while at the stoplights. So far so good. Although a Dodge SRT8 was toying with me in traffic, acting all bad.

Kids are the best, they always yell, cool car. No doubt people enjoy seeing our cars. So that's a bonus.

I get a lot of thumbs up and lookers, i don't even notice them 1/2 the time, my wife is much more in tune to the attention. I get the same positive thumbs up by the cops, they certainly aren't out to bag me. I have never had anyone want to race.

A buddy of mine has a blown 392 hemi street rod (32 ford 2dr sedan)that has no fenders. He was on his way back from the street rod show in Hersey PA when some one on the hiway had to get a closer look and touched the rear tire. It pulled their car right up over the tire an into the body. Tore up the corner of the body and ruined the 33" Mickey Thompson.

Sorry to hear about your buddies car,thats the main reason i rarely drive mine on the street,WAY to much invested in it to have some knuckle head do something stupid like that..

Strange thing about the whole inicident was the insurance company would not pay him if he fixed it himself, Jack is very talented fabricator & painter and had done all the orignal body work, paint and flames himself.

So he had it fixed at the local hot rod shop and it cost the insurance company twice as much.

Oh yeah, the police & ricers!

I was out of town and pulling into a Macdonald's when an O.P.P. followed me in. They are equivalent to your State troopers in the U.S.

I thought "oh ****", and immediately took out my ownership. He didn't even look at it...So I got out popped the hood, and talked Mopar with him. He was cool. In town I mind my business for the most part cuz I know my car is easy to spot.

Similar to how I met one of my best MOPAR friends. He was a county cop and saw my Barracuda. He has a '68 440 Charger. We always went to Carlisle together and since he was a cop we could really fly up there.

I hate the kids with the ricers! They think they really have
something. They don't. Always wanting to race. Weaving in and
out of traffic to get close. Then acting like jerks.

It is really pretty sad. It is obvious how many of these punks in their ricers that sound like leaf blowers have never been anywhere near a track. If they ever took the opportunity to see what real 13, 12, and 11 second cars look like they would never be such idiots on the road. I guess they are afraid of how much trouble they will have breaking into the 16's.

Strange thing about the whole inicident was the insurance company would not pay him if he fixed it himself, Jack is very talented fabricator & painter and had done all the orignal body work, paint and flames himself.

So he had it fixed at the local hot rod shop and it cost the insurance company twice as much.

Insurance companies are one of the reasons this country is screwed up. A family could have four cars but only one driver. But the insurance company makes you pay liability by the car. How many cars can I drive at a time? That is two or three hundred a car whether I drive it or not.
Grandma needs a wheelchair, right? Cost 600 or 700 dollars to get one through at the pharmacy. Blue Cross pay 90 and I pay ten percent. But I can find the same chair on the Internet for under 200. But that isn’t an approved source by Blue Cross so can’t get it there. (unless I want to pay the whole 200 instead of just 70)
I have nothing but positives from driving my car. I have had young girls even admire it at the gas station (steady old boy).
It’s dark tan poly with cop wheels and caps. Nice but not “showy”. That’s the kind to drive. No one ever hassles me. After all, it’s a “Duster”. I just get good comments and thumbs up. Sort of the driver- sleeper mentality. Every one should have one of those.
Go on and save an unwanted A body from the wrecker.
You’ll probably enjoy driving it more than a Honda.
Maybe even more than a Mopar with the 2k paint job.
I have a F3 car too. That is a little more noticeable, but still gets only positive results.
I got stopped for 70 in a 55. I think it shocked the deputy to find an geezer and his wife in it.
Got a warning and too fast for conditions instead of a ticket. Yea.

I have to say, I'm jealous.

Reading topics like these makes me want to get my 74 valiant up and running even more.

Insurance companies are one of the reasons this country is screwed up.
Very true but they could not do it without help from their good friends in the government who are the people most responsible for the screwed-up condition of the country.

Go on and save an unwanted A body from the wrecker.
You’ll probably enjoy driving it more than a Honda.
Maybe even more than a Mopar with the 2k paint job.
I have a F3 car too. That is a little more noticeable, but still gets only positive results.
I got stopped for 70 in a 55. I think it shocked the deputy to find an geezer and his wife in it.
Got a warning and too fast for conditions instead of a ticket. Yea

The only times I have been pulled over in my 69' 383-S has been by cops who wanted to see the car.

Very true but they could not do it without help from their good friends in the government who are the people most responsible for the screwed-up condition of the country.

The only times I have been pulled over in my 69' 383-S has been by cops who wanted to see the car.

How true.
The insurance companies are "in bed" with the government. That's the only way I can see it.
Opps. Brain fart.
I meant Y3 (curious yellow).
But you know what I meant.
I did get stopped for license plate light out in my stealth car. But maybe that was just to check me out.
And yes, that is another good reason to drive an A-body (old car). Most people can figure out that you aren't going doing criminal activities. (we want count the obvious things)
"He was driving a 1973 Dodge and robbed a bank."
Sure.
Sort of like the man with a dog theory.
It makes you easier to ID so you probably aren't up to no good.

I had a guy on a bicycle ride up to me in a parking lot one day. He was dressed in jungle fatigues and had all kinds of Vietnam ribbons and such on his hat which said "Vietnam Vet" on it....you know the kind. He was very clean though, if you know what I mean.
Anyway he says "WOW, a 69 Dart GTS, the last time I saw one of those was in 70 when I came back from 'Nam. I had just picked up my brand new 383 Roadrunner from the dealer and met this guy at a light, next thing I knew I was lookin at those square taillights way out in front of me!"
It is too much fun driving around and watching reactions.

That "vet" reminds me of the humourous things too.. I had a guy stopped next to me. He said nice car. Then he asked if it had a 383 in it while staring at the front fender which says in big numbers "340". I just agreed that it was a 383. :-D

Then while I was at a store I had a guy that was actually crawling under my car while checking it out. He was helping me by looking for flaws.lol.

That said, it's a great way to meet all 'kinds' of people.

I'm sure everyone has a story, or two.

Then while I was at a store I had a guy that was actually crawling under my car while checking it out. He was helping me by looking for flaws.lol.

Looking for flaws or causing them? that happened to a freind of mine and his Studebaker pickup.A supposed admirer was poking arround underneath his truck, except they cut his brake lines.

Looking for flaws or causing them? that happened to a freind of mine and his Studebaker pickup.A supposed admirer was poking arround underneath his truck, except they cut his brake lines.

Holy crap, that's insane. I would never even suspect somebody of doing that. Makes you wonder, though.

That "vet" reminds me of the humourous things too.. I had a guy stopped next to me. He said nice car. Then he asked if it had a 383 in it while staring at the front fender which says in big numbers "340". I just agreed that it was a 383.

Been there. My 69' 383 Formula S has the sport stripe that says "383" in big numbers on the fender and I can not even guess at the number of people who have asked "what ya got in it"? One bonehead even asked if it was a 350. I said "no mam".

-
Back