Anybody played with the AM/FM radio?

-

C39

Reaction score
I have an AM/FM radio I want to put in my 71 dart. Problem is, the tuning section isn't working. When you turn the tuning knob, the knob shaft turns, which drives a plastic gear that turns a shaft that runs through the induction tuning section. The plastic gear itself turns, but the shaft it is supposed to drive doesn't turn with the plastic gear. It is free, though, but the plastic gear is turning on the shaft instead of driving it.

Any tips on how to get to it would be appreciated, too. After studying the radio, I really feel sorry for the poor folks who had to sit on an assembly line and put those things together in a timely matter.

His website says that he no longer works on radios, just 8 track and cassette units, and, in so many words, to not bother him with plain old radios anymore. Thanks for the lead, though. I suspect the tuning problem is a common one. If I can get the set apart, I think I can shim the collar that sits between the plastic gear and the shaft, giving it the "bite" it needs to turn the shaft that goes into the tuner. Fixing the electronics part of a radio is pretty simple stuff if you can find the problem. Working on the radio's mechanicals can be a different story!

Thanks again!

Dick

Dick could it be the gear and shaft were once one piece and have broken apart at the seam? By your description that kinda sounds like what it is.

The plastic gear has a metal hub that drives the shaft, and there is a set screw in the hub, which of course is frozen in place. Might as well be working on one of the POS radios from 1930 that is loaded with potmetal. Daredevil's bfh suggestion is a good one, I may have to look into that. In the mean time, I will keep studying the problem, like it's the worst of my worries. One quarter panel cut off, engine out of the car, and I'm worried about the freaking radio! Now that I think about it, it sounds a bit like adult onset attention deficit disorder, doesn't it?

Definetly attention defict disorder or you'd have thought of the bfh first. LOL

So you worked on the old radios too huh? I used to when I was a kid then when I was in high school in 79 got a job working on radios and tv's after school and on saturdays. Did that until 86 the market dropped out when wal-fart came in and sold new stuff for the price of an hours labor.

I still play with radios but different kind. Amateur radios. kb9vxq

I had a similar case on a thumbwheel radio with the on/off switch. I used a drop of super glue to secure the plastic gear to the metal shaft.

-
Back