Anybody replace 1970 Dart bucket seat foams?

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I tried installing my new Legendary seat covers on my 70 Challenger buckets only to find out that the foams are different. The listing wire slots are wider on the Dart covers so I'll have to install new ones. What are the chances that somebody has dimensions? I'm I can find correct new seat foams although I'm a little worried that this is a 1 year only seat and I will have to modify something.

I think I can figure out the listing wires. It’s the foams I need to source.

A good auto upholstery guy could glue foam on top of the original foam then sculpt it to the seat covers
Legendary interiors have 0 interest in providing them for the 70 Dart
Been asking at Carlisle the past 10 years or more
Need them for my 70 Swinger also

I can do that but the channels/slots are in the wrong place. I can glue them shut and cut new ones if that is the only solution. The listing wires would have to be relocated too. Do you know where the foam has to be reshaped?

Sorry I do not.
My seats have been in storage since around 1985 and I will probably look into an aftermarket set. The next owner can decide what he wants to with them, if and when the seat foams are reproduced.

I’m not sending them to a shop. Around here they will want $1-$2k and it will be 50/50 they do a good job.

just get some high density foam and glue and get at it. An electric carving
knife or new hacksaw blade work fine to cut and shape. Build them similar
but a bit bigger and keep test fitting and trimming.

I trail fitted the covers onto the foams and its pretty close if not the same profile. I watched the Legendary videos and glued 1/2" foam onto the foams to fill out the covers better. The only real issue is how well gluing the channels shut and recutting new channels will go. I've got nothing to lose except some 50+ year old foams.

One year only foam. Not the same as 70 Challenger, but the frames are the same. I got mine from PG Classics 3 years ago, but I don't see them on their site now. here a picture of what I think you need:

70 Dart bucket foam.jpg

Legendary confirmed that no foams are available from them and that my 70 Challenger foams will be close so I’m going to give it a shot.

On the legendary site look at the 70 Dart bucket seats and the 70 Challenger seats...

I’ve got 70 challenger seats. As far as I can see the only difference is the listing wire channels. The Dart seats have wider spacing. I think I can cut new channels and trim the foam a bit. I’ll post some pics if it turns out.

PG classics website indicates they are available $$$
I saw the ad but seeing as the '70 is a 1 year only foam it can't fit both a 70 and 71 A body. I sent them an email and they say they fit '70 only which is nice to know if plan A doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Over 10 years ago @ Carlisle, I offered Legendary my 70 buckets to use as patterns for new foams.
Wasn’t any interest back then.
Driver is trash, pass has one slight rip on seat back.
The PG Classic’s sure look like they would work
IMG_5501.jpeg

IMG_5502.jpeg

who have tried PC Classic seat covers? I purchased mine from them and they look OK.
they are packaged up and stored until i install them. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Those PG classics foams are what are in these seats with custom color Legendary covers:

DSC04495.JPG

DSC04496.JPG

I'm happy with the bottoms (bad photo angel) but am really struggling with the backs. Maybe I will break down and get new foams but I am not there yet. The backs have 1" foam on the side faces and they still don't look right. I'm going to find some higher density foam and give it another go. I have built and tore down the seats twice already. I will be finding hog ring bits in my basement for years.
IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

-
Back