Anybody try dyeing seatbelts?

-
YEP I have "painted" several I get my paint from classic ind. if I cant find the color im looking for or I go to my local napa store. Classic handles all your factory colors

I'll be doing this to my 68 Dart belts soon. I think people use Rit Dye. From what I've read, you put salt in with the dye and let them soak. Rinse them off and soak them in vinegar to set the color....then rinse again.

For my Challenger belts, I just put them in an old pillow case and threw them in the washing machine. The came out nice and I didn't have to dye them.

I also went from green to black. Put them in a clean kitchen sink and used almost boiling water and 2 packs of dye.

It turned even the green on the buckles black.

Are y'all using the original seatbelt for this?

I would think it's far beyond safe use.

While I had the carpet out of the car I decided to refresh the seat belts too, they were badly faded from the sun.
I used a rattle can of fabric dye.
Works perfect and now looks like new!

I use rit dye to do mine. I wouldn't use paint as it doesn't penetrate the fiber like dye does. They come out awesome and they wont bleed or fade.

All you have to do is boil some water in a pot then turn the heat back to under a boil, add a box of rit dye $1.50 at fabric hobby store. then soak the belts for 15 to 20 minutes each - the longer the better. rinse them off in cold water and hang dry. the dye also doesn't stick to the buckles like paint will..

Are y'all using the original seatbelt for this?

I would think it's far beyond safe use.

Excellent Point!!

we have a couple hundred miles of black 2" seat belt webbing at work- how much do ya need lol.

Please do share, does seat belt webbing have a shelf life? an degradation factor based on
'cyclic' use ? or u/v exposure? does dye or spray affect webbing strength?

Thx for any info Honored Posters.

Grandwazoo, Thx added !!
not trying to 'steal Your thunder'.

Black belts in my 67 were sun faded to greenish. Since the fabric was worn too, Replacing all the webbing front and rear totaled about 80 bucks material and labor.
With brand new seat skins, carpet, headliner, instrument panel, etc.., etc..,

-
Back