Anybody using the R5/P7 for racing?

-

King

Reaction score
I've been doing some research for my next build. I'm not up to date on the Mopar stuff. I'm at the planning stages right now. I've been looking at the R5/P7 combo. So far it seems like a pretty good combo. Anybody running this combo for a drag race application. I finally bought a Mopar and now I need a power plant. I want to build a 358ci engine and I only have to weigh 2900lbs. Any idea how much HP you can get out of it? Any input would be great.

Thanks Brian

I've been doing some research for my next build. I'm not up to date on the Mopar stuff. I'm at the planning stages right now. I've been looking at the R5/P7 combo. So far it seems like a pretty good combo. Anybody running this combo for a drag race application. I finally bought a Mopar and now I need a power plant. I want to build a 358ci engine and I only have to weigh 2900lbs. Any idea how much HP you can get out of it? Any input would be great.

Thanks Brian

I have a complete set of P7 heads if your interested.

I'm building a R1 block with W9 ported heads... stroked to 416

Now that I have the chassis for it I'd love to build a P7 engine but funding is limited at this time and probably will be for sometime to come. Good luck with that though. I believe the Pro Stock trucks (now running in Comp Eliminator) were making over 1000 HP or very close to it. Unless you plan on running in the 7's there may be cheaper alternatives. How fast do you plan on going?

so what kind of info have you come across so far? I have recently purchased an r5p7 arrington engine, I am putting it in a dodge dart, issues I am finding are headers, flexplate and starter, I am using a liuzzo brothers racing, adapter plate for the trans, everything else seems pretty straight forward but I am sure I will run into some issues.

I wasn't thinking too clearly, the P/S trucks used the R4/P5 combo.

so what kind of info have you come across so far? I have recently purchased an r5p7 arrington engine, I am putting it in a dodge dart, issues I am finding are headers, flexplate and starter, I am using a liuzzo brothers racing, adapter plate for the trans, everything else seems pretty straight forward but I am sure I will run into some issues.

There are companies that can make a flex plate if you provide the dimensions like JW Transmission in Cocoa FL. http://www.racewithjw.com/ . I'm sure you'll need to fabricate headers. Another thing you may need to check is the back of the crank and the torque converter snout. That needs to fit snugly to keep the converter lined up. I don't know if that crank was machined to fit a torque converter or not. As for the starter, can you bolt a mini starter to the bell housing?

Older post, but figured I would search before I made a new post... How about oil pan and motor mounts? Will I need a diferrent front end, tubular or can I get a oil pan or does it clear. The crank spacing appears to be not as much an issue today, what other things will I run into if I decide to do this? I have a couple complete ones found for a decent price, and Im very intrigued!!!! Any help? I dont really want to cut up my car though to do it....

Older post, but figured I would search before I made a new post... How about oil pan and motor mounts? Will I need a diferrent front end, tubular or can I get a oil pan or does it clear. The crank spacing appears to be not as much an issue today, what other things will I run into if I decide to do this? I have a couple complete ones found for a decent price, and Im very intrigued!!!! Any help? I dont really want to cut up my car though to do it....

My head porter does alot of P7 heads for cup cars and said it's a real efficient engine. 840 HP with a 9.0 CR and a tiny carb I believe it. The main parts are readily available for cheap it's going to be the small, reusable stuff that will cost you though. Theres a guy that sells mopar race stuff on ebay that goes by seatmon. I his last name is eatmon and he gets alot of the parts for the R5/P7 engines I think his brother did a B body with one.

I just wonder if everything will even clear in the car. I dont want to put a tubular front end at this point....? Transmission issue is a concern as well. I have a motor found, so Im ready to pull the trigger....

I just wonder if everything will even clear in the car. I dont want to put a tubular front end at this point....? Transmission issue is a concern as well. I have a motor found, so Im ready to pull the trigger....
I went with a tube front end just because the headers will be much easier to fab up, pics are in the current projects section, click the website link www.innovativemetalworks.com

Motor I have found is Chev bolt pattern, how big of an issue is this, I sent a request to JW, see what they come up with. I imagine this isnt too big of an obstacle.

hows it going?
we are building a 68 dodge dart and putting a r5/p7 in it too!
i have been told that they will make 840 hp with only 9:5:1 :happy2:
and the heads with flow 360 out of the box and 410 with work :happy2:
i almost have every thing to this motor
i have a billet crank
a block
cv motor plate (witch you have to have)
i have my belt drive
my heads
all i really need is my rods, push rod, and pistons
i am buying all my parts off of ebay
from eatmon and a couple other guys
we are planing to put a turbo on it as soon as we get the money for it

hows it going?
we are building a 68 dodge dart and putting a r5/p7 in it too!
i have been told that they will make 840 hp with only 9:5:1 :happy2:
and the heads with flow 360 out of the box and 410 with work :happy2:
i almost have every thing to this motor
i have a billet crank
a block
cv motor plate (witch you have to have)
i have my belt drive
my heads
all i really need is my rods, push rod, and pistons
i am buying all my parts off of ebay
from eatmon and a couple other guys
we are planing to put a turbo on it as soon as we get the money for it

A few things here...

These engines are 12:1 not 9.5:1 At 9.5:1 you will not make 840 IMO..

Also these heads do not work OOTB.They need extensive work to even make them usable. And to make them flow 410 they need a full CNC port job, not just SOME work.

I hope you got all your accessories with your motorplate and it's complete, otherwise good luck finding all the parts that work with that particular motorplate. There are many different styles, that use many different water pumps and front timing systems. For the most part alternators and oil pumps will work with all of them.

Just to let you know you would have less in a complete engine than putting one together piece by piece. You can get them complete from around 5k-12k from different builders and teams... 12k is for a brand new one..

Depending on what trans you are planning on using you will need an adapter plate.

When buying your pistons makesure they have rings with them or have wide oil lands or you will be shoveling out around $1100-1400+ just for the rings...

Just a few things to look into....

A few things here...

These engines are 12:1 not 9.5:1 At 9.5:1 you will not make 840 IMO..

Also these heads do not work OOTB.They need extensive work to even make them usable. And to make them flow 410 they need a full CNC port job, not just SOME work.

I hope you got all your accessories with your motorplate and it's complete, otherwise good luck finding all the parts that work with that particular motorplate. There are many different styles, that use many different water pumps and front timing systems. For the most part alternators and oil pumps will work with all of them.

Just to let you know you would have less in a complete engine than putting one together piece by piece. You can get them complete from around 5k-12k from different builders and teams... 12k is for a brand new one..

Depending on what trans you are planning on using you will need an adapter plate.

When buying your pistons makesure they have rings with them or have wide oil lands or you will be shoveling out around $1100-1400+ just for the rings...

Just a few things to look into....
we were told that a guy with 9.5.1 made 840 hp
my heads have all the work done and we have a guy selling us all the little stuff we need
i have not got a part yet that has not blown my mind on how hi-tech they are or how light they are
2w more things i forgot to say i dont have: roller cam and Exhaust valves

Well good luck with your build. You will love the engine when it's done.

Both of my engines are a blast to run!

-
Back