Anyone add headers after, wonder why they waited?

-

cudaracer

Reaction score
My plan for my 318 build is to keep the Dakota 360 manifolds for my ebody, saving about $700, but I was wondering if anyone added good quality headers after building and running similar log style for a while, and how they felt about it. Was it a huge improvement? We can talk numbers all day, but I am not sure I have ever felt a 20-30 hp gain before, so I am looking for descriptive words. Was it great, wondering why you waited, or closer to modest improvement that you hardly benefit from on the street.

Thanks

If you build a high hp motor (say 500+) drove with the logs then switched, you'd notice it.

Short answer is yes. I put a set on a stock 318 several years after I rebuilt it, and the increase in power across the entire RPM band was very noticable! I didn't think there would be that big of a difference on a stock engine, but I was nicely surprised.

No, I've always installed headers whenever I pull out my motors and then reinstall.......what I DO wonder about.....is why I don't spring the extra $$ for the ceramic coated ones. I'll do a good heat paint spray can job on my headers (in the past) and then scrape and chip them up while installing them, then start going into meltdown seeing the nice (but weak) finish look like hell.

I don't care how much extra it costs, all my headers will be ceramic or nickel-coated from now on.

when I was 16 I put a set of black jacks on my challenger and wondered why I didn't do it when I was a baby....

-
Back