Anyone do any Metal Detecting, I have a question

-

Racingduster

Certified Welder
Reaction score
OK, so here's the deal. My parents are retired and live in a motor home and travel a lot. They mostly stay in Arizona during the winter. Well for the last year or so dad has been hinting about getting a metal detector to have with him while they are on there travels. He thinks it might be fun to walk around different areas and see what he can find. I was thinking about getting him one for Christmas this year, but I know NOTHING about it or the detecting units.

Can any one help me out and give me some useful info on what I should look for. There are so many different detectors and so many different prices. I don't wanna spent a lot of money, but I don't want a cheap one that is hard to use, maybe a couple of hundred bucks. Then if he likes it we can talk about upgrading later.

I hope someone can chime in and help out.

Thanks for looking at this.

I don't know a lot about them, but I want to caution you that as in all things, you get what you pay for. The lesser expensive ones are going to have difficulty discriminating between scrap metal and more desirable metal, whereas the more expensive ones can tell the difference between a pop tab, a beer can, and something that is iron, gold, nickel, silver, etc.

A good website to check is http://www.kellycodetectors.com/ . They sell all kinds of metal detecting items, and they can answer any questions you may have. Good luck!

Thank you. I was just on that site. There's alot to think about. The AT Pro looks cool. but its just a little out of my price rage(unless I win the powerball tomorrow). It would be nice to show what your looking for on the screen so you can determine if your gonna keep looking or dig it up.

I bought a underwater Fisher unit from kellyco to look for stuff in a creek near here that has interesting things in it. You have to learn to use the controls and the sounds the thing makes. Not easy and you will spend a lot of time with digging up things that are useless.

I think it is a worthwile thing cause your Dad will have something to do while camping that gives him exercise too. Never know what he will find.

I bought a underwater Fisher unit from kellyco to look for stuff in a creek near here that has interesting things in it. You have to learn to use the controls and the sounds the thing makes. Not easy and you will spend a lot of time with digging up things that are useless.

I think it is a worthwile thing cause your Dad will have something to do while camping that gives him exercise too. Never know what he will find.

That was my thought also. It looks like fun. I found a web forum to look at. Members look like they are having alot of fun doing it.

Name brand was White I believe :-k
And a good detector =D>
let me up date myself , and yes this in very enjoying and fun :happy1:

Talk to this guy.
http://www.bunksarizonaprospecting.com/

He is a friend of ours and is a really nice patient guy.
His name is Calvin Bunker (everyone calls him Bunk) and he is a well known pro at prospecting and the equipment involved, and has found some really nice gold.
They live about 8 miles from me.
I'm sure he would be willing to give you tons of info to go on.

I taught his wife how to do web design when they started going commercial, and as you can see she ran with it.

Talk to this guy.
http://www.bunksarizonaprospecting.com/

He is a friend of ours and is a really nice patient guy.
His name is Calvin Bunker (everyone calls him Bunk) and he is a well known pro at prospecting and the equipment involved, and has found some really nice gold.
They live about 8 miles from me.
I'm sure he would be willing to give you tons of info to go on.

I taught his wife how to do web design when they started going commercial, and as you can see she ran with it.

Thanks alot! I bookmarked that page so I dont forget about it.

There is ALOT to look at. WOW. This is way more involved then what I originally thought. Just need to do more research.

Look for a good tool to dig and scatter an area a fixed blade in a sheath
as another wrapped up gift under the tree ...
so he will have something to dig and move small gravel with, I carried a rubber handled cheep dagger
that did a good job cutting sod plugs with

-
Back