Anyone doing "modern tech" engine swaps?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
So is anyone using 1990's (or newer) engines? If so, are you using the stock fuel injection and engine management? What vehicle did you get it from? How much $ did it run you?

Any thoughts on this? Does using fuel injection hurt the character of these cars? How would a light weight machine like a Valiant or a Duster perform with a stock 5.9 from a 90's Ram?

How hard is the swap to use a current Gen 5.7 HEMI? Will it bolt up to an older transmission? Will it fit in the engine bay without major surgery? Is it worth it?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!!!

So I just called the local junkyard. They have two used 360s...one is from a '99 Durango, the other is from a 2000 Ram. Each have in 80-90k miles, $800-$900...supposedly both are in running condition. Is this a good deal?

Would these motors work? How much hotrod potential is there from these without replacing the bottom end, pistons, etc?

Would it be worthwhile to get the computer (additional $75) and keep the fool injection? Would this end up being a wiring nightmare?

Thanks.

I personally would like the idea of driving my dart to work when its 30 degrees outside. Some people are purists when it comes to carbs vs. fuel injection but I say as long as its not an LS1 or something, ie, keep it MOPAR, then go for it. I'm still trying to decide wether or not to swap the new hemi to replace the /6. The 904 and small bolt pattern 727 will bolt up to the new hemi, I believe you just dont need the top bolt on the bell housing and you need to cut the ring gear off the flex plate. There are also a few people like COMP cams making wiring harnesses that you can actually play with a little. From the replies to my posts on this subject and a little research, the computer and engine wiring harness from the donor vehicle should take care of most of the wiring to get it running. The 800-900 seems a little high for those engines, but I live in SC and some things are a little cheaper. CHeck out Schumacher Creative Services in Seattle. They have a lot of products and links to shed some light on this subject. Lastly, I think the magnum motors have a lot of potential and a few aftermarket parts. My vote is for the new hemi to give a little bit of nostalgia-just cooler to me than the run of the mill magnum motors, but like I said, As long as its a MOPAR!!! Hope this rambling helps.

I personally would like the idea of driving my dart to work when its 30 degrees outside. Some people are purists when it comes to carbs vs. fuel injection but I say as long as its not an LS1 or something, ie, keep it MOPAR, then go for it. I'm still trying to decide wether or not to swap the new hemi to replace the /6. The 904 and small bolt pattern 727 will bolt up to the new hemi, I believe you just dont need the top bolt on the bell housing and you need to cut the ring gear off the flex plate. There are also a few people like COMP cams making wiring harnesses that you can actually play with a little. From the replies to my posts on this subject and a little research, the computer and engine wiring harness from the donor vehicle should take care of most of the wiring to get it running. The 800-900 seems a little high for those engines, but I live in SC and some things are a little cheaper. CHeck out Schumacher Creative Services in Seattle. They have a lot of products and links to shed some light on this subject. Lastly, I think the magnum motors have a lot of potential and a few aftermarket parts. My vote is for the new hemi to give a little bit of nostalgia-just cooler to me than the run of the mill magnum motors, but like I said, As long as its a MOPAR!!! Hope this rambling helps.

Wow... that defnitely helps!! Awesome info. Great to know that the new Hemi will fit... anthing special that you have to do for engine mounts/k-member?

Is there a manifold that will allow you to use a carburator on the new Hemi?

So another call to the junk yard revealed that a mid-mileage modern 5.7 Hemi goes for about $2400... which isn't bad when you consider that it will have 345hp where a crate motor costs twice as much for one with 390hp. Not sure which has more potential...

The question still lingers about wether or not you can fit carburators on these motors because I suspect that the current gen computer will be expensive.

I sold the old Mopars I had (lack of time to work on them) and bought a new Daytona. I was extremely opposed to 4 door Chargers to begin with but they grew on me and I ended up with one.

The 5.7 in the Daytona is a good strong engine and carries the 4200 (app empty weight) Charger very well especially from a rolling start, and really starts running when it gets around 60 or 70 (the gearing on the Charger helps it get great gas mileage).

They do have a 5.7 crate engine now for the old cars that you can get with carb or injection for around $7400. I am sure if you put it in a light car it would be awesome. I also understand they will slip right in the old Mopars with a harness that will hook up.

Summit has them here
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400172+323257+115&autoview=sku

There is also a 392 hemi but it is quite expensive. A kit may be required to put the 5.7 in an old Mopar, not sure.

So another call to the junk yard revealed that a mid-mileage modern 5.7 Hemi goes for about $2400... which isn't bad when you consider that it will have 345hp where a crate motor costs twice as much for one with 390hp. Not sure which has more potential...

The question still lingers about wether or not you can fit carburators on these motors because I suspect that the current gen computer will be expensive.

Cap Auto has at least one "take out" hemi for sale all the time. (at least every time I've looked) He includes all the wiring and the computer with his engines and I think he sells them for around $2200. I believe he is out of Knoxville, TN and sells them through e-barf.

Im putting a 5.7 hemi in my 64 dart. As far as doing it on the cheap, youll need motor mounts and you have to have a manual steering box. Im using the alterktion front suspension so it clears up things abit better, but you dont need it for a hemi swap. Youll also have to do a reomte oil filter. Just do a search and use the words "5.7 hemi swap" and youll find all kinds of stuff on this swap.

Does anyone know where to get a bellhousing to go from a 5.7 hemi to a tremec t56? Is the 5.7 or 6.1 wider than an old small block?

also I was just checking and it looks like mopar will be reintroducing the charger and they are offering it with a brand new optional engine the 7.0l hemi and if you can find pics of it on the web go for it the new thing looks awsome it looks like a 69 but modernized like the new challenger. looks like it will be coming out eather 2009 or 2010 so look out for the finally needed 2 door charger good by 4 door charger

also I was just checking and it looks like mopar will be reintroducing the charger and they are offering it with a brand new optional engine the 7.0l hemi and if you can find pics of it on the web go for it the new thing looks awsome it looks like a 69 but modernized like the new challenger. looks like it will be coming out eather 2009 or 2010 so look out for the finally needed 2 door charger good by 4 door charger

:headbang:

Are you sure its for real?
Do you have a link??

EDIT: On second thought...don't nobody go getting excited about this yet. A quick survey of Autoweek and other news sites have nothing about a new Charger and the internets is full of fan made photoshops.

I work in a mopar parts dept. so the info is comming off of mopar dealer connect it is straight from mopar. I looked on the web and can not find any pics yet. but I was looking at a mag. the other day when I was waiting to be checked out at the store it was called mopar enthusist (iv never seen this mag before) I was going to buy it but I did not have the funds it had a complete article about it with pics. I went back that friday and they SOLD OUT what a bummer if I can find pics I will send them out THIS THING LOOKED AWSOME

in the article if you can manage to find a copy, it is referring to the guy that designed the challenger was also asked to tweak the new design for the charger. Their is also a really good article about the all new dodge demon and a really good piece on the new challenger to be released. their is a guy at my work who claims he has a copy if I can get it from him I will scan it and post it. but one thing I don't understand is they are not going to show the charger in real life until the new challenger is out. And it is supposed to come out in 2010 and the new challenger is set to be in 2009 (also a little off topic but mopar makes all employees take a course on all the new cars coming out and I took the course on the new challenger and one thing that is kinda odd is the first year it is out you can only get the car one way, cuz the demand is so high they will only be selling it with the 6.0l hemi 6 speed manual trans. orange ext. and black int. but that may change at the last minute)

MRGTX

it looks like you might be right I just got the article from my co worker and I have now read the entire thing (when I saw it at the store I just only looked at it for a few seconds) it looks like they have this as a projected image of what it will look like. the info I got off of the mopar web site just tells that they are going to "retro design" the new charger to have the same reworkings of the new challenger but they will not release a pic of it untill the new challenger comes out. so sorry for miss leading you all, but if I can scan it I will still cuz it is a good article.

-
Back